fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Hi guys
Currently in my house we have one computer and one ps3. The computer is connected to the internet using ethernet, and if i want to get the ps3 on the net i have to run a 10m ethernet cable from the lounge room to the study, and disconnect the computer from the modem.

Id like to be able to keep the computer connected via ethernet and also connect the ps3 wirelessly at the same time, and possibly connect a laptop wirelessly to the net later on. Also, id like to set up a home network so i can stream video from the computer to the ps3.

I'm not very good at networking, so am not really sure what i need exactly. I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/43166/NETWORK_WIRELESS_ROUTER_MODEM/D-Link/DSL-G604T.asp

would that do the trick?

FaBriC

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I had one of those, it lasted me two yeas and ran well.. had no problems.
It will do what you want to do, but the video streaming may be a bit slow. (depends on how big your stream is)

I have since upgrade two a wireless N(802.11n) device (linksys WAG160N).
Wireless N devices give you faster speed, that is, if you have wireless N network cards on your PCs..

But if you want to keep your current 802.11g cards, Must Wirless N still except 802.11g network cards and Wireless N device will give a better signal as they have multiple antennas, just buy cards later.

Cheers
FaBriC
--------------------------------
www.getthemostfromyourpc.com
Optimize your wireless network!
------------------------------

fordy9

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I don't have anyway network cards at the moment, that's why i still want to use ethernet to connect to the main computer to the internet. The ps3 has some sort of internal card i'm assuming, I know it is already capably of wireless anyway.

Ill mostly be streaming downloaded tv shows and stuff, so hopefully that would be enough.

Some of the modem/routers have an in built print server. What is that exactly? If i don't get one with a print server, would i still be able to print files from a laptop on the printer that is connected to my main computer?

gstefanick

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

You are correct, your Ps3 does have an internal wireless card. The AP/Router you listed will work and so will many of the Linksys, Netgear etc as well.

You will be fine with 802.11g or 802.11n to stream video.

A print server allows you to interface a number of computers to a printer on our network.