Anyubis

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
So, I built a new PC from the ground up. Everything is new and everything powers on fine. The only thing is I don't know where to go form there. My computer sits at this screen
DSC00691.jpg

Am I supposed to install drivers from this screen on startup using the provided disk by my mobo (which I have tried but cannot get to the drivers, all it does is want to do a system recovery) I have tried switching around my HDD and my DVD drive which are both SATA. I have always used IDE previous to this so I am not sure about the 8 different SATA connectors and which ones I need to use. I am really at a loss. I have tried everything I can think of. My Windows XP disk seems like it is going to start, then the computer resets to this same screen.
Thanks in advance for any info and forgive my ignorance :pt1cable:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you can, go into the BIOS and set it so it boots from the DVD and that the drive you're installing Windows on is the 2nd drive. Take out the 2nd drive until Windows is installed. If you got a FLoppy with your mobo, when the Windows install starts and asked, hit F6. If the board didn't come with a Floppy disk, don't worry about. If you can't get into the BIOS, I'd return the board. You could try updating the BIOS with a Floppy. Also you could try running the Diagnostic/Repair software from the hdd mfg off a floppy.

Anyubis

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I can get into the BIOS and I have switched the boot sequence. I am now thinking maybe that it might be that my Windows CD is bunk. It's a student release version I got from a friend and everytime it boots up it goes to DOS and an A:\ prompt. So, I'm thinking it wasn't burned correctly to have the Autostart. Is this possible? Just wondering before I go out and spend the money on Vista. If it is the most likely, which version of Vista do u recommend? I don't know if I am understanding u correctly. If I am using the HDD as the 2nd disk to install Windows onto, how can I take it out until Windows is installed?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It's possible you have a bad copy of Windows To check borrow a Windows CD you know is good and try it You can only legally run one copy of Windows but you can test it on another machine. I wouldn't buy Vista right now, there are a lot of driver and other problems reported and Microsoft is already testing a Beta of Vista SP1. I'd get an OEM version of XP, $89, at newegg. I thought you had 2 hdd in your computer, If so, disconnect the one you will not install Windows on and reconnect after Windows is installed. If you only have one hdd, obviously you need that in the machine to install.

Anyubis

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
it works. I am super impatient and couldn't wait, so I went to Circuit City and bought a full version of XP Home w/ SP2. It was my cd all along. It works perfectly! Thank you for your suggestions, I couldn't have made it without the support here. You rock :bounce:
I don't know what that little guy is supposed to be doing, but he looks happy so I'm leavin' it. hahaha

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Glad you got it worked out. That little manic guy has me tired just watching and I've only been up for an hour. :)

TRENDING THREADS