Please help.... takes 15 min to boot.

Newbie007

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I have come across yet another problem.

I turn the computer on, it goes through bios, and post and all that, then I get a blank screen for 10 - 15 minutes. I am NOT exaggerating. It literally takes up to 15 minutes to load OS. The hard drive does work its butt off, you can hear it.

Somebody suggested I take out my ram and test them seperatley. So I took off all my ram and left one in there, and again same problem. I exchanged it for another stick, and same thing. It doesn't matter which stick of ram I have in there, same problem.

It didn't use to do this. It started the 2nd day of my new build.

Q6600 g0 stepping
4 gigs of g.skill 800mhz ram
Asus p5k deluxe p35 mobo
700watt gamexstream OCZ
8800GTS 640mb.
hauppage win-tv pvr150
Windows vista ultimate 32-bit

Thank you in advance for all the help.

-jack

wickedmonster

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I have this same problem. it's probably due to your hard drive running slow. Try unhooking the SATA cable from the HD and then hooking it back on. worked for me.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
you may have a dying hard drive. I just fixed my cousins computer which would take 15 minutes to load windows, but then again, it would take a really long time to load anything. I figured it out by looking in the event viewer, it gives all sorts of helpful things.

Bigsby's suggestion is a good one. If the hard drive is very busy, either it is generating errors, or is running stuff you don't know about and don't want, like malware. If the latter, and you find out who wrote it and/or infected you, I will have no moral or legal objection if you track him down and cancel his ticket.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
As a general quick and dirty test, you can search for a big file such as driver.cab in your C:\windows folder. Copy that file to your desktop and note how long it takes. Just keep copying it and overwriting it repeatedly. It should take about 1 second to copy every 40MB. In my case, driver.cab is 75MB so it takes just under 2 seconds every time I click "paste". If it takes more than 5 seconds to do it repeatedly, then you surely have a serious HD problem. I would guess that it should take more than 10 seconds to copy a 75MB file, if this is indeed your problem.

Other likely problems:

1. As a previous poster noted, it could be the tv card. Wouldn't hoit to yank that.
2. Could be a network problem.
3. Could be caused by just about any peripheral connected during bootup. Even a usb flash drive.

I would guess #2. Need more info for that. If you want, you can go and download this bootlog analyzer: http://greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/download.htm It works ok. Just post the results here if the answer doesn’t jump out at you.