cpu's amps and other questions

hastetheday

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Hey guys, i have a question about amps. I am 95% done with my first build, and i ran across an interesting question, people keep asking me about my computer's amps and how much it will draw, because i guess if it draws to much then it cannot be ran on a regular house circuit? I don't know how to find how many amps it will draw, any help from anyone who has a system like this, or knows anything about amps?

evga 680i motherboard
q6600
evga8800gtx (maybe sli in future)
150 gb raptor
500gb wd caviar
ht omega claro soundcard
five 120mm fans
thermaltake toughpower 1000w 87% eff.
zalman 9700
coolermaster stacker
dvd rom
dvd burner
4gb pc6400/ddr2 800 ram
benq 24 inch monitor 1080p
logitech z5500

Don't think you have to worry about "house" current. Your set up draws: Computer, no more than 4 to 5 Amps MAX when Gaming, and no more than 2 to 2.5 Amps for Monitor, Printer and scanner. My computer, excluding Monitor, printer, and Scanner only draws Approx 2.5 Amps With 3Dmark06 running.

Most Homes (excluding those built during Civil War) outlets are fused at 15 to 20 Amps. So unless your Microwave is on the same circuit, your running the vacumn cleaner, and your wife/room mate is using the hair drier - you should be OK.

Computer current is for 120VAC, For Europe (240VAC) current drain would be 1/2 at the outlet

thermaltake toughpower 1000w 87% eff.

Your psu will supply your system with the proper amps needed to run your system.

badders

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007

15 to 20A? Yikes.
My house is rated at 100A Overall, with 2 mains rings@32A each, and a separate 32A feed for the oven.
It's quite funny watching the electricity meter spin round like a helicopter when you've got the 3KW oven on, the 3KW Microwave and you're boiling the Kettle too... Even then you're only drawing 30A.

Badge
I think His concern was not on PSU, But on the current draw from the "House" outlet. His PSU is almost to large for current setup, But then that allows for future expansion.

Reason I say this is his Idle current is prabably less than 20 % of rated 1000 Watts with full load current of current system at only about 350 to 400 Watts.

badders
Is that microwave and industral version, My OLD house has a seperate 220V/25A fuse for Hot water heater, 220V/25A for Electric range. 3 Main 220V/40 A (one for each phase) and 4 120V/20A for outlets and 4 120V/15 A for outlets.

To hastetheday
Dont even give it another thought,dont know why people would keep asking about the amps there isnt any thing there that wont run,with a 1000watt psu you will be good to go for that sli if you decide to do it. Its overkill if anything.
Mactronix

badders

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007

No, Just Run-of-the Mill Panasonic from Costco. (although we are in the UK - costco has to be one of the best things over from the states!)

You have 3 phases to your house? Awesome. 3 Phases come up the pylons here, but the substation splits them, so every 3 houses have a phase each.

badders
In the US we have 240 in to the house (2 phase). Each leg is 120 and 180 degress out of phase. Ideally, Half the house is on one leg, the other on the other leg. if Each leg has the same current, then the nuetral line has a net zero current.

A year ago a large branch that took out the line into the house. When go old vepco repaired the lines they wired the same phase to both legs. all my 120 appliances worked but none of the 240. The lights on my electric range came on - both not the elements.