Athlon63 200+ Venice and DDR RAM Issues

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Hi guys, need a bit of help.

I run an aBit NF-95 with the latest BIOS, and an Athlon64 3200+ 'Venice'.

I had some old PC 3200 (DDR 400) SDRAM lying around: a stick of 512MB TwinMOS, and a stick of 512MB cheap stuff. So the memory was the same speed but not matched.

I tried each stick individually to begin with. To my surprise the cheap worked great at DDR 400 speeds, however with the TwinMOS Windows would instantly reboot.

I wanted 1GB instead of 512MB, so I basically went into the BIOS with the two sticks installed, and ran them at DDR 333 speeds. Still getting MemTest errors, so I went back into the BIOS and went to CAS3.

The system boots, but every now and again despite passing the MemTest, I get programs crashing and other, odd behaviour. I put it down to a memory compatibility issue. My PSU checked out fine on my old overclocked Athlon 2600+@2200MHz, using the same RAM.

Is there anything else I can do the further aid stability when running in dual-channel mode? Here are my BIOS settings to date:

Ram Configuration is 2 x 512MB, dual-channel, DDR 333.

CAS: 3
Min. Ras Active Time: 7T
Ras-to-Cas: 3T
Ras Pre-charge: 3T

The following are all set to (Auto):

1T/2T Tming: 1T
Read Preamble: 6ns
Async Latency: 7ns

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any tips. I don't know much about these settings so I have not altered them..thought it better to ask the people who are better informed.

three0duster

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Change the "1T/2T Tming: 1T " to 2T , it usually helps when using unmatched sets. And for giggles, set the R-to-C and Ras Precharge to 4. And test it, and report back.