mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi there...

I just wanted to ask about my Intel E6420 cpu temp...
I have a system of Gigabyte 945P-S3 rev3.3
Intel C2D E6420 at stock speed
Ram 2 GB Patriot 667mhz (1GB x 2)
Geforce 7900GT 256MB vram
Stock (boxed Intel Heatsink)
All speeds and voltages at stock and norm..

I have the BIOS sensor reads about 41C at startup...and during windows idle load..And Intel thermal analysis tool reads for the 2 cores as 32 31 C...

I just wanted to ask .. As I read ..The CPU temp.. should be lower than the 2 digital temp form the 2 core of the C2d ..Why do I have the contrary ??!?!..and anything wrong ?? thanks in advance...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
mahanddeem, Tcase (CPU) temperature and Tjunction (Core) temperatures can be inverted due to PECI (Platform Environmental Control Interface) not being enabled in BIOS, (if equipped). Temperatures can also be affected by ACPI and APIC support not being enabled, however, Tcase can simply indicate higher than Tjunction Due to inaccurate thermal algorithms in BIOS. Temperature inaccuracies can sometimes be corrected by downloading the latest BIOS update.

If the above items have been addressed and temperatures remain inverted, then perform the Calibration procedures in Section 9 of the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Please use the following format from the Guide to list your information:

Results

Tcase (CPU) = Idle 41c / Load ??c
Tjunction (Hottest Core) = Idle 32c / Load ??c

Variables

Ambient = Room Temp ??c
Chipset = 945
C2Q / C2D = E6420
CPU Cooler = Intel Box
Frequency = 2.13Ghz
Load = Test Program TAT
Motherboard = Gigabyte 945P-S3 rev3.3
Stepping = B2
Vcore = 1.3525

Also, regarding the use of TAT; from the Guide:

Section 8: Tools

Note 4: The software utility (TAT) Thermal Analysis Tool at maximum settings will simulate 100% Thermal Load, which would equate to Prime95 at 114% Workload. This provides the most extreme testing available for CPU and system cooling efficiency. Since TAT is coded to measure Notebook temps, it identifies a C2D as Pentium M. As Notebooks have no Integrated Heat Spreader, thermal scaling differs from desktops CPU`s, so TAT indicates ~ 2c lower, and depending on Variables, temps may be Offset by more than 15c. It is therefore recommended that TAT be used for extreme thermal testing only, and temps regarded as unreliable.

Please use Prime95 Small FFT's for Load tesing. The link to download the latest version is available in Section 8 of the Guide.

Comp :sol:

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi computronix...
Thanks for your kind reply...And So sorry with multiposting...thought the thread about to be forgotten:D....I already have the latest BIOS from the box...BIOS version FE...But I'll check the BIOS settings and see what can I find...