Vista keeps freezing. Is my P5N-E SLI motherboard overheating?

theJuckett

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
So I built a new computer the other day and have been trying to get Vista up and running on it. After I got all my drivers up to date and such in Vista I removed omst of the errors, but it will still just freeze up after being on for a while (need to hold the power button down to force a reboot).

This would tend to happen when I was installing applications so I was thinking the CPU might have been overheating (system specs are below). Acording to ASUS Probe, it was at about 44C when id tend to die. I put on some arctic silver 5 thermal paste and its running cooler now and I thought it might have fixed the issue at first, but now I've seen it freeze up with the CPU around 38C.

So now I'm wondering if the motherboard could be overheating? It was reporting around 47C during the previous freeze. What is an expected temp? And if that temp is fine, any ideas on what else I should look into? I tried updating the BIOS to the latest version, but that didn't fix the issue. I figured I would try installing XP on it this evening to see if thats any different.

System Specs:

* ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6750

* EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

* COOLMAX CUG-700B ATX 12V( V.2.2) 700W Power Supply

* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

* Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DVR-112D

* Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
(I have two of these setup as a mirrored RAID)

* CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4D
(I've got the speed of these manually set in the BIOS to what is recommended by Corsair and Memtest86 says its all good. The Vista memory test application sometimes will ussually freeze up on the second pass though - I assume for the same reason Vista is freezing)

Any help would be appreciated,

Ryan

TRENDING THREADS