Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Beating AMD to the punch?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 5, 2007 8:26:02 PM
September 5, 2007 9:14:19 PM

4 FSB's bus that are still shared by each cpus dual dual-core and FB-DIMMS and still less pci-e lanes then older amd systems and the old power mac g5
September 5, 2007 9:25:14 PM

I kind of figured Intel would do this. I am not sure though if this will be beating AMD to the punch since they are only up to two way servers. They sure are trying to rain on the green parade though.
Related resources
September 5, 2007 9:40:58 PM

in reply to weskurtz:

The way I am reading this the tigerton is for 2 or more processors.
September 5, 2007 9:59:43 PM

your right, I missed that part near the beginning and was reading the part about the 7300. Like I said I figured Intel would make some kind of move on or around the Barcy launch. I still wouldn't say they are beating AMD to the punch, more like they are trying to kick them while they are down. IE. trying to take the spot light away from the Barcy launch. This move kind of makes me think Barcy might have a fighting chance against Intel, otherwise I would imagine Intel wouldn't worry about making sure they had something to launch days before AMD does.
September 5, 2007 10:16:43 PM

When you really break it down it's kind of pathetic....lol...

It is a business and you have to compete but sheesh...no morals what so ever. Yes it is a business and you have to do what you have to do but it's still messed up. I knew intel was going to be doing this on every turn. Funny how when amd stated a release date for their barcelona server processors intel came out a week or two later talking about the release of their tigertron. Waiting around the corner for amd's press releases about their products and the opportune moment to sweep in and take AMD's coverage.

I mean heck..considering they are doing this in the public eye it gives a little light to the antitrust issues...Yes they are different but considering they take this route everytime with AMD it just further claims they'll do anything to get what they want.

Sad day for AMD =(...I just hope barcelona atleast delivers something...Last thing I want is intel alone in the x86 department..that would not be very fun at all.
September 5, 2007 11:31:52 PM

weskurtz81 said:
your right, I missed that part near the beginning and was reading the part about the 7300. Like I said I figured Intel would make some kind of move on or around the Barcy launch. I still wouldn't say they are beating AMD to the punch, more like they are trying to kick them while they are down. IE. trying to take the spot light away from the Barcy launch. This move kind of makes me think Barcy might have a fighting chance against Intel, otherwise I would imagine Intel wouldn't worry about making sure they had something to launch days before AMD does.


I agree, but then this wasnt unexpected. In Q1, some folks were guessing (myself included) that Intel was going to time the release of Penryn to "steal the thunder" fom Barcelona. Obviously we were wrong, but I think most people were of the mind that Intel would still pull something. There are those of use who dont think AMD was prepared for C2D, but I think Intel was overprepared--expecting a must faster and more effective response from AMD (not the 4x4 :sarcastic:  ) and leaving ample headroom in C2D so they could drop a E7000'@3.2 GHz, E7200 at 3.3GHz etc. when AMD tried to catch up.

With the 7300s it seems to me as if its just a showmanship/PR shot.The 4P space does have high margins, making it very profitable in terms of manufacturing costs, but the volume of those chips sold doesnt amount to very much...15%ish of the total server market the last time I saw.
September 5, 2007 11:41:46 PM

Im hoping that AMD can ramp things up with there new cores, server and desktop included... becuase if they dont, we may see CPU prices starting to rise because there will be little competition for Intel and then they can start charging what they want
September 6, 2007 12:05:37 AM

Kamrooz said:
When you really break it down it's kind of pathetic....lol...

It is a business and you have to compete but sheesh...no morals what so ever. Yes it is a business and you have to do what you have to do but it's still messed up. I knew intel was going to be doing this on every turn. Funny how when amd stated a release date for their barcelona server processors intel came out a week or two later talking about the release of their tigertron. Waiting around the corner for amd's press releases about their products and the opportune moment to sweep in and take AMD's coverage.

I mean heck..considering they are doing this in the public eye it gives a little light to the antitrust issues...Yes they are different but considering they take this route everytime with AMD it just further claims they'll do anything to get what they want.

Sad day for AMD =(...I just hope barcelona atleast delivers something...Last thing I want is intel alone in the x86 department..that would not be very fun at all.



Yeah, I can't believe Intel would steal AMD's thunder, that's so anti-trust. Intel should do it the right way, hype a non-existent product for an entire freaking year before it's launched and then launch it at uber-low clock speeds.
September 6, 2007 12:44:16 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Yeah, I can't believe Intel would steal AMD's thunder, that's so anti-trust. Intel should do it the right way, hype a non-existent product for an entire freaking year before it's launched and then launch it at uber-low clock speeds.




Damn, even Henri, where ever he is, must have felt that sarcasm :ouch: 
September 6, 2007 2:49:33 AM

Whoops, forgot to put the /sarcasm in there!

I do think Intel has done some anti-trust stuff, however, "stealing AMD's thunder" isn't within the legal definition of anti-trust. I would know because I took a class in (intro to) business law at a mediocre community college.


(Yeah, that last part was a slam on myself)
September 6, 2007 5:41:56 AM

Ah, well you obviously only took Introduction To Business Law 101. Had you taken Introduction To Business Law 101B...the Caveats, you would have learned that " ....rules which apply to the Intel Corporation do not apply to Advanced Micro Devices. Advanced Micro Devices are permited to perform any act of advertising or public relations they deem necessary or beneficial without loss of purity of reputation, or threat of intellectual, verbal, or legal reprisals. Furthermore AMD...... " ;)  :kaola: 
September 6, 2007 6:21:47 AM

lol..I stated that what they are doing is different from antitrust issues. After all it is business and to be expected...But it just gives light to how dirty intel can and will play. Of course it aint a antitrust issue to surprise the market with new processors...But the fact that they announced the tigerton a week or two after amd's announcement. As well as releasing penryn towards the end of the year which is where the desktop barcelona platforms launch date is hovering around. But of course penryn will be releasing extreme edition processors at first it seems...trying to over muscle AMD more likely....

I probably wasn't clear in my first post though...it obviously isn't an antitrust scenario to release processors...but considering how dirty Intel is playing by releasing processors right around the date of AMD's...as well as announcing the release dates of their processors right after AMD announces theres...it just shows how dirty and malicious intel can be...and with that in mind, I really don't doubt that intel would go as far as violating antitrust laws.
September 6, 2007 6:35:19 AM

ya the only reason amd stock is showing any life is the ati x2900xt dx10 kicking butt!
September 6, 2007 3:33:30 PM

The Caneland platform has been expected for some time, now, so this is definitely not a surprise (look at Intel's stock - a real surprise would have had some positive effect). The plan was that this was supposed to be the platform for Intel 4 way quad based (so 16 cores) on the Core 2 Arch for the MP segment that would at least keep Barcy's prices semi-low. What Penryn will do to that has been a mystery. If Caneland can provide decent performance against Barcy in the MP server world, then Intel just has to relax and release Penryn whenever. If not, they can pull in the Penryn launch as quickly as they need it (heck, we saw useful demos from Penryn before Barcy). AMD needs Barcy to be as good as they claim.
September 6, 2007 4:08:49 PM

See my thread on SAP benchmarks (typlical workspace for 4s servers).
Even if Barcy performs the same as opteron per core, Barcy will be neck & neck in terms of performance
in the 16 core space.

!