Best cooling for Q6600 and 8800 GTS 640?

Hi guys ,i am new to all this overclocking thing. I recently bought my new comp. It is a Asus striker EXTREME with Q6600, 2gb kingston 800 and asus 8800 GTS 640 MB. What do you recommend? I am now using AtiTool for overclocking but i don't like my temp so i want to go large with some new cool water or air. Do anybody have a nice suggestion? :)
6 answers Last reply
More about best cooling q6600 8800
  1. salezio84 said:
    Hi guys ,i am new to all this overclocking thing. I recently bought my new comp. It is a Asus striker EXTREME with Q6600, 2gb kingston 800 and asus 8800 GTS 640 MB. What do you recommend? I am now using AtiTool for overclocking but i don't like my temp so i want to go large with some new cool water or air. Do anybody have a nice suggestion? :)

If you have the money I'd get water cooling. Most air cooling will just dump the heat back into the case.
  2. i was thinking danger den 8800 gts or H2O 220 apex ultra for GPU ,but i still dont have anything in mind for CPU. I am hopping to do 3,4 or even 3,6 with my 2,4. I heard it is possible,so i am going to need something freasing...
  3. salezio84 said:
    i was thinking danger den 8800 gts or H2O 220 apex ultra for GPU ,but i still dont have anything in mind for CPU. I am hopping to do 3,4 or even 3,6 with my 2,4. I heard it is possible,so i am going to need something freasing...

You can do 3.6 on air. Thats' not the big deal.

I wouldn't get a "kit."

If you have the cash get a PA120.3, MCP655, D-Tek FuZion CPU Block, and MCW60 GPU Block OR a Full cover from EKs.

If you don't have the cash for a PA120.3 get an 320QP from Swiftech or two paired with YL D12SL-12s. A single rad with D12SM-12s might be sufficient.
  4. cnumartyr said:
    If you have the money I'd get water cooling. Most air cooling will just dump the heat back into the case.

No it wont... that card exhausts its hot air out the back of the case and teh cooler id reccomend, the thermalright ultima-90, would also exhaust out the back of the case.

So yes, I recommend the Thermalright Ultima-90 with a 92mm fan, preferably under 30DBA yet over 20CFM.

Really, the performance you get with water isn't worth the cost, the performance boost you get with some good air cooling is pretty much a necessity. Water just looks nice. You';re looking at about $100 max for air and $400+ for a decent water cooling system.
  5. Most after market air cooling GPU solutions I've seen don't exhaust out the back. The stock solutions do, but most Thermalrights don't.

I wasn't talking about a CPU cooler.
  6. Fair enough.

There isnt anything wrong with the 8800GTS's stock cooler though, just turn up the fan speed a slight bit for a bit extra cooling.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Overclocking Asus Cooling Striker Extreme