richardoh1234

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Hey

I have been looking for a Network drive for some time now and think I've narrowed it down to 2.

Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini (Home Edition) 500gb

or

Freecom Network Drive Pro 500gb

So what one do you think?

Thanks

Rich

tech-spy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I have also been looking at getting a NAS drive for a while. I haven't decided on a drive yet but the two drives that you mentioned are functionally very evenly matched.

They are both priced around £140 so the main decision has to come down to the case. If you prefer a tower, go for the Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini and if you prefer a desktop case go for the Freecom Network Drive Pro.

The only other thing that's worth considering is the warranty - the LaCie drive has a 3 year manufacturers warranty and the Freecom drive has 2 years.

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
What do you want it for? I know that sounds like a silly question but there is much that can be done with the NAS Luke: http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=83

If you just want storage then fine go for the best price. I think I'm the only one in this forum that whines on about having RAID 1 but that is a consideration for me. As I've said in a recent thread if I'd known about those Qnap NAS boxes before I built my file server I would have gotten one of those.

richardoh1234

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
It really is just for backup and file sharing on my wireless home network.
After more looking around I found that the Lacie offers ITunes and Media serving but has slow Wireless speeds even on (n).
The Freecom however only works on the FAT32 filing system (not NTFS), but has more expansion options.

That said the Lacie is looking favorite for me at the moment.