Solution
That D drive is a partition of your hard drive. It contains the defaults from the original install. If there was a problem with the computer, you could access that partition, and restore it to it's original state.

I'm sure Dell didn't tell you that. :)

It's besides the point now. But you could've backed up your data, and do a restore. If that volume icon was working at one time, you also could've used the restore points to roll back to when it was working.

Hopefully, they didn't charge a lot.
Did you try clicking the arrows that look like this << ? It could just be hidden.

If not, right click on the taskbar, and click properties. Click on the customize button. Look for the volume icon, and change the drop down option to 'always show' or 'hide when inactive.'

start-->run-->services.msc-->make sure windows audio service is running.

You do have a screen that looks like this, under control panel-->sounds and audio devices, right? If yes, make sure that box is checked to place the icon in the taskbar.
http://www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/setup/tips/67450-select-place-volume-icon-in-the-taskbar.gif

What kind of motherboard do you have? You may simply need to select your audio device in you audio manager (such as realtek sound manager).

annette2010

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
here is my mother board info:
Manufacturer--Dell INC
Model OHK980 AO1
chipset NVIDIA Geforce 6150 Rev. A2
southbridge NVIDIA nforce 410/430 MCP
LPCIO SMSC

VER--1.0.0
BRAND - DELL

That D drive is a partition of your hard drive. It contains the defaults from the original install. If there was a problem with the computer, you could access that partition, and restore it to it's original state.

I'm sure Dell didn't tell you that. :)

It's besides the point now. But you could've backed up your data, and do a restore. If that volume icon was working at one time, you also could've used the restore points to roll back to when it was working.

Hopefully, they didn't charge a lot.

Solution