Your question

lg dvd writer does not recognise disk

Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • LG
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 24, 2008 4:42:29 PM

I have an LG G-H20N-S10 dvd writer, by brother in law has an LG G-H20L-S10 drive. We both have the same issue where when we insert some game disks, the install runs fine but when you try to launch the game it says to insert the correct disk. The disks are original game disks. Tried them in another computer and they work fine. The two we have had an issue with Call of Duty 4 and with Battlefield 2142 so far.
His motherboard is an Asus P5E and mine is an Asus Maximus SE. Updated the bios on both, installed the lastest drivers for the sata, no help. I've patched CoD4, same issue.
Both have sata set to raid.
I'm assuming it's something to do with the disk security. Can't find any firmware update for that drive and it's a new model so I wouldn't have thought it should be a problem. And of course no response at all from LG.
Anyone have any ideas? Please, please, please..... :D 

More about : dvd writer recognise disk

January 24, 2008 7:53:59 PM

Fail!

Seriously, this is a common problem with SATA drives with no know fix. I've got the same exact problem with an ASUS drive, and it sucks balls, so do what I do and go download a No CD crack for the game. It's that or, go find a drive that you know can launch game disks just fine. (Also, I've noticed this problem is almost completely restricted to ASUS boards. So it's probably the way the board interacts with the device. LAME!)

Quote:
I'm assuming it's something to do with the disk security. Can't find any firmware update for that drive and it's a new model so I wouldn't have thought it should be a problem. And of course no response at all from LG.
Anyone have any ideas? Please, please, please..... :D 
Contact LG and ASUS and complain until your face turns blue.
a b G Storage
January 24, 2008 9:01:39 PM

And PLEASE contact the idiots who made those games too. It's so annoying. having to hunt for the CD or DVD all the time, and pay another $50 if I scratch it.
Related resources
January 24, 2008 10:07:55 PM

I was afraid it was something like that. Stupid companies making stupid components using great new technology and screwing it all up. Making me crack a game that I have the stupid disk for. :p 
a b G Storage
January 25, 2008 2:10:48 AM

rgeist554, so from what you remember this is a motherboard issue, not the burner's fault? Just wondering if adding a second burner of a different type could fix it.
January 25, 2008 10:59:37 AM

From what I've seen, it happens with multiple brands of burners / drives, but it's almost always an ASUS motherboard. I contacted them last week about it, but never got the "prompt response" I was promised, so I'll be sending another one today.

What you can do to verify this is take the actual burner to someone who already has a DVD drive that plays games just fine, and replace theirs with yours. If it works, then it's ASUS's fault. If not, bad burner / firmware.
January 25, 2008 11:30:25 AM

I had the same issue with Red Ocean. I installed and ran using a Sony CD-RW combo. It ran fine initally, even restarted OK after a crash. Next day, after a cold reboot, it didn't recognise it at all. I spent a number of hours doing some house-keeping to no avail. Eventually I popped it into my second optical drive, Sony DVD RW, and it worked fine. No more issues.

First title I have had do that but I'm not up to date on games at the moment.

For the record the mb is ASUS, so a common thread there. with the opticals being IDE.
January 25, 2008 11:55:59 AM

The ASUS boards set SATA drives to IDE mode in the BIOS, I believe. So it's still a similar issue.
!