Heatsink for the Q6600 on Asus Striker Extreme...which one?!

radium02

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Hello again!

I have a Q6600 on the Asus Striker Extreme, and currently I am using the stock heatsink. But my CPU temps are in the mid 40's when idle and I no longer like this. And it's pretty loud.

I used Asus's Q-Fan option to control the CPU fan (is this a good idea by the way?).

What do you guys recommend for a new heatsink for my setup? I want a QUIET one, decent quality, and one that will keep it cooler than it is now. I do have a budget in mind, but I want to see a few of the heatsinks before I make it definite (this is a pretty important mechanism in the computer so its definitely worth the extra $)

Thanks in advance!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
you must not overclock since your temps are low

first it depends on the chop bs or g0 - next the oc and finally what mobo and gpu.

if you are using a Leviathan video card very few coolers fit - i know it took 6 trys!

depends on the mobo too - coolers that blow down cool the mobo

coolers that blow out the back run faster - so there are alot of factors,

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I have to admit you could have been more clear with your advice Dragonsprayer...nevertheless I think that this will fit:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=006579&cid=FN.349

It is a SilverStone RL-SSR-NT01V2. Nitrogon NT01 Cooler 0dBA for lntel P4 Socket 478 ,LGA775,and Athlon 64

I would add two fans that can be controlled with the Q fan software. I also have an ASUS extreme striker but not the q6600 (jealous) but I have an e6750 with temps in the 40's also...but since I have like eight fans and SLI 8800GTS I have gotten used to the windtunnel that is my PC.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004

Is that thing overclocked? Because mine is OCd to 3G with EIST disabled and my temps are a shade lower than yours.

@radium02 - Currently one of the undisputed best coolers is the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. Here is a test by anandtech, they include many others in the bench comparison.

AnandTech: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme: Is More Better?

The specific cooler and fan combo that would be best. With this setup you could use the Q-fan no problem. just check the temps to be sure you are satisfied with them.

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail

A little better paste than the one included with the HS

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Edit: It's tall so check for clearance.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Thermalright setup in above post.
2 HDDs
HIS x1900pro 512meg. cooler blows hot air inside case.
1 front 120 antec fan
1 rear 120 antec fan
Antec elcheapo slk3000b case

Considering your HSF cost $40 more than mine and you have six less HDD's inside your case (which, if it cost more than $40 is not as cheapo as mine :p ), I would expect your temps to be a little more than just a shade lower, I still stand by my earlier comment on the AC 7 though.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
8 HDDs will generate some heat. I got my case for $59.00 at a brick and morter store. The Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is on sale $15.00 off to $20.00 at Newegg which is super cheap. Whenever someone asks for a cooler and withholds the budgeted amount I recommend the current best. That is why I included the benches from Anandtech so that he /she could see a range of coolers. Unfortunately the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro isn't in the test. I must say that I don't care for the mounting pins. I would rather remove the mobo and use a backing plate.

My ethos has always been 'maximum performance for minimum payout' [:mousemonkey] , which is why I only paid out £24.99 for my case ($50.56) although it has gone up since and is now £29.99 ($60.69) :ouch: (too rich for my blood [:mousemonkey:6] ), the AC7 was only £12.00 ($24.28), I can't say I've had a problem with the mounting pins but I can see how some would, but my biggest heat generator by far is the bank of 8 HDD's :whistle: all spinning at the de facto 7200rpm.

radium02

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
From what I read within the customer reviews for the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, it will not fit the Asus Striker Extreme because of the heat pipes.

I should of mentioned that I do not over clock.

Looking for one that isn't too expensive but gets the job done!

The heatpipe that runs between the CPU socket and the RAM slots may present an issue depending on high it sits, but the fan could be 'modded' i.e slid up to sit slightly higher so that it would clear, but other than that the main body of the unit sits within the perimeter of the securing pegs.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I found this thread that is about a Asus Striker Extreme review, which is linked in linked in the first post. This is a question and the response by the reviewer.

axforts2212 Asked:
I have a question. You showed how the Noctua heatsink doesnt perfectly fit. Did you guys try with the ThermalRight 120 that you dubbed best heatsink?
jmicahg Answered:
Well, firstly, the Thermalright 120 CPU cooler does not have the interfearance issue that the Noctua had. With the Thermalright, is is about 7-8mm of clearance between the bottom fins of the cooler and the top fins of the heatsink that the Noctua was bumping into. A Striker owner could always use a Thermalright 120 instead of a Noctua NH-U 12, but personally, I like the Noctuas better.
re: Asus Striker Extreme Review - Neoseeker Forums

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You can't say that across the board. What you need to do is find as many current heatsink tests as possible and pick one out of the lists, based on price and efficiency