Split-screen on Sony KDF55XS955

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 5, 2005 10:00:21 AM

Greetings:

Has anyone noticed a barely visible horizontal split right down the
middle of their screen?

I recently purchased the Sony KDF-55XS955 and I have DirecTV's HD
package connected to an RCA box via DVI to HDMI. I've noticed that the
top half of the screen is slightly off from the bottom half of the
screen, thus causing the appearance of a very faint line right across
the middle of the screen. This is noticeable on some the hi-def
channels but I don't notice it when I'm watching a DVD or some standard
definition channels.

I'm not quite sure if its the signal coming in or the TV itself. Any
advice would help. Thank you.

Will.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:00:30 AM

rugrad9093@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Has anyone noticed a barely visible horizontal split right down the
> middle of their screen?
>
> I recently purchased the Sony KDF-55XS955 and I have DirecTV's HD
> package connected to an RCA box via DVI to HDMI. I've noticed that the
> top half of the screen is slightly off from the bottom half of the
> screen, thus causing the appearance of a very faint line right across
> the middle of the screen. This is noticeable on some the hi-def
> channels but I don't notice it when I'm watching a DVD or some standard
> definition channels.
>
> I'm not quite sure if its the signal coming in or the TV itself. Any
> advice would help. Thank you.
>
> Will.

I think that Sony 'fine mask' horizontal line was discussed before...

It might be/is a structural wire that holds the fine grid mask in
place.
Some 955/960 viewers might have seen 2 lines representing two mask
wires..
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:35:09 AM

Thanks, Dennis. I've never heard of the term "fine mask", is it a
physical wire or something that's projected because I don't see it all
the time.

Will.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:10:25 PM

"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> I think that Sony 'fine mask' horizontal line was discussed before...
>
> It might be/is a structural wire that holds the fine grid mask in
> place.
> Some 955/960 viewers might have seen 2 lines representing two mask
> wires..

Pretty sure that model is LCD rear projection, not CRT, so there won't be an
aperture grille stabilizer.

- Dan
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:31:57 PM

rugrad9093@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks, Dennis. I've never heard of the term "fine mask", is it a
> physical wire or something that's projected because I don't see it all
> the time.
>
> Will.

Will:

My answer was/is off base as only the 30 & 34" fine mask CRT (tube)
Sony's

may have the 'visible' horizontal mask wire.....

Your set is not a 24" deep CRT Sony.... Sorry for my wrong
answer.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 5:06:36 PM

So, that brings me back to square one. Any other thoughts?????
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:25:35 PM

Have it checked out, may need to have item serviced or at least throughly
inspected.

!