Velathawen

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
I am wondering if I should bother upgrading my agp system or just tough it out for another year or two. If I do upgrade, I'm considering upgrading my psu and graphics card as I'm quite content with everything else.

Case - Soltek Qbic EQ3801a (below is a link which has motherboard features)
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/soltek3801a/3.html
CPU - A64 3000+ 2.0 Ghz
Ram - Kingston 1.0 GB PC2700 x 2
Hard Disk - Western Digital 200 GB 8mb Cache 7200 RPM
Optical Drive - Pioneer 4x DVD-R AV108
Power Supply - Default 250W that came with the case.

The card I was thinking of upgrading to is the Sapphire x1950GT which can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102093

One thing I'm worried about is whether this new psu I'm getting will fit into my case. So I'd like a bit of input on this as well, thanks!

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Take it one step at the time. This mobo AsRock 4CoreDual - VSTA supports DDR, DDRII, AGP, PCIe, it will let you re-use pretty much all your old parts except CPU, get a E2140 1.6GHZ and overclock it.. I don't know what the price is in the US but in Scandinavia it's around 60$ for the mobo and 75$ for the E2140. You will need a new PSU also so 40-50$ on top of that and you are back on track.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Velathawen - Nope. Not worth it. Your current system is going to bottleneck the hell out of the X1950GT. You won't see any where near the performance you'd expect from such a card. Judging from the size of the case, it looks like it's going to need a mATX (SFX) power supply which simply do not provide enough power for today's graphic cards (making the whole argument a moot point).

Time to start saving for a new rig.

-Wolf sends

Velathawen

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Thanks for the input guys. My main problem is that I bring my computer with me during travels. As such, having a smaller/barebone case makes it easier to bring it around since I can bring it as a carry on rather than checking it in with the other luggage.

Guess it's time to save up :(