Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express 2.0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2007 11:33:07 PM

I've done a lot of searching and can only find information from months ago. Anyone know when the first PCI Express 2.0 video cards will be coming out and/or any information about them. Thanks.

More about : pci express

September 21, 2007 9:31:36 AM

I don't think theres any official news yet. Many people are speculating that the next gen video cards will be PCIE 2.0. But until then its basically all speculation for now.
September 21, 2007 10:37:00 AM

Well if Intel is bringing out their X38 which supports PCI-E 2.0, I see no reason why Nvidia wouldn't come out with a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card. But thats my guess.
Related resources
September 21, 2007 5:35:25 PM

systemlord said:
Well if Intel is bringing out their X38 which supports PCI-E 2.0, I see no reason why Nvidia wouldn't come out with a PCI-E 2.0 graphics card. But thats my guess.

Exacty my thoughts, any word on the release date for the X38?
Also, is it true PCI-E 2.0 slots will be backwards compatible with PCI-E 1.0?
September 21, 2007 5:49:17 PM

I think so
September 21, 2007 6:19:42 PM

PCI-E 1/2 card will be compatible with PCI-E 1/2 slots, either way, so there should be 0% compatability issues.

Supposedly either the next gen of nvidia cards or a refresh of the g80 series will be the next batch. The refresh likely wont be pci-e2 compliant though.
September 21, 2007 9:34:29 PM

superkevin said:

Yes the PCI-E
September 21, 2007 9:37:02 PM

superkevin said:

Yes the PCI-E 1.0 will work either way with PCI-E 2.0, PCI-E 2.0 will be able to use software to optimise the interface, can't remember where I read that.
September 22, 2007 1:00:52 AM

systemlord said:
Yes the PCI-E 1.0 will work either way with PCI-E 2.0, PCI-E 2.0 will be able to use software to optimise the interface, can't remember where I read that.

Thanks, good to know. Anyone think it's worth it to wait for the pci-e 2.0 mobo's to come out before building a new system, and use a pci-e 1.0 card on it until the 2.0 video card's come out? Or just wait till pci-e 2.0 has been around for a while in both mobo's and video cards to make that first buy?
September 22, 2007 1:03:10 PM

well... agp is still around.... so pcie 1.0 will be around for quite a while yet
September 22, 2007 2:10:06 PM

Basically all PCI-E2 oes is it can give 150watt of power to PCI-E2 cards to get rid of PSU cables and also it gives it 32x lanes of bandwidth, both pretty useless IMO anyway since all PSu's come with adapter cables and im pretty sure ALL cards dont even use the bandwidth of 8x.
September 22, 2007 2:18:30 PM

Yup, agreed - pretty pointless to wait for PCI-E 2.0 I would think. It would be akin to waiting for the next SATA standard.
September 22, 2007 9:08:48 PM

ethel said:
Yup, agreed - pretty pointless to wait for PCI-E 2.0 I would think. It would be akin to waiting for the next SATA standard.

Pointless to wait, it X38 comes out in about or less than a month and for those that are willing to wait...
September 22, 2007 9:10:43 PM

Yeah, but what will be the real world benefit?
September 22, 2007 9:19:10 PM

Hatman said:
Basically all PCI-E2 oes is it can give 150watt of power to PCI-E2 cards to get rid of PSU cables and also it gives it 32x lanes of bandwidth, both pretty useless IMO anyway since all PSu's come with adapter cables and im pretty sure ALL cards dont even use the bandwidth of 8x.

PCI-e 2.0 isn't just about more bandwidth or more power, its about being able to use software to more effectively use those 16x2 lanes. It will give us gamers higher performance while reducing costs.

The PCI-SIG is pleased to release the PCI Express® Base 2.0 specification. This document culminates a multi-year development effort by members of the PCI-SIG. The PCI Express Base 2.0 specification has several major updates and enhancements as shown below:

Signaling

PCI Express Base 2.0 specification doubles the interconnect bit rate from 2.5 GT/s to 5 GT/s in a seamless and compatible manner. The performance boost to 5 GT/s is by far the most important feature of the PCI Express 2.0 specifications. It effectively increases the aggregate bandwidth of a 16-lane link to approximately 16 GB/s. The higher bandwidth will allow product designers to implement narrower interconnect links to achieve high performance while reducing cost.

Protocol & Software
A number of optimizations and improvements have been made to the protocol and software layers of the PCI Express architecture in the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification. These include:

Dynamic link speed management – to control the speed at which the link is operating
Link bandwidth notification – to notify software (operating system, device drivers, etc) of changes in link speed and width
Capability structure expansion – to expand the control registers to better manage devices, slots and the interconnect
Access control services – optional controls to manage peer-peer transactions
Completion timeout control – to define a required disable mechanism plus related optional enhancements
Function-level reset – optional mechanism to reset functions within a device
Power limit redefinition – to redefine slot power limit values to accommodate devices that consume higher power

September 22, 2007 9:55:58 PM

Ok, maybe 1% or 2% performance.
September 23, 2007 4:07:39 AM

Hatman said:
Ok, maybe 1% or 2% performance.

Its pointless to be guessing at this point, but being ready for future products can only be a big plus for anyone. To those that have already built a nice new computer (like me) some will look at it and say, "dam it I just bought a new computer and heres something newer that I don't have and will look down on the new standard just because they don't have it." Instead I look forward to the new standard that will bring me a better product.
September 23, 2007 10:49:40 AM

This is moot.. they already talk about PCI-E 3 so.... this discussion is moot imo.
September 23, 2007 11:26:15 AM

Crownregent said:
This is moot.. they already talk about PCI-E 3 so.... this discussion is moot imo.

I believe that was for servers not PC's. Newer tech is often talked about years in advance and planned for as well. Think about this> when Sony's PS2 first came out Sony was already working on the details for the PS3.

September 23, 2007 6:06:05 PM

and they still managed to screw up the PR for it :lol: 
September 24, 2007 3:27:29 AM

systemlord said:
I believe that was for servers not PC's. Newer tech is often talked about years in advance and planned for as well. Think about this> when Sony's PS2 first came out Sony was already working on the details for the PS3.

True, I remember reading that PCI-E 3.0 was planned for sometime in 2009...technology moves so quickly these days :pt1cable: 
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2007 4:04:00 AM

ethel said:

I think it depends mostly on how long you want to use your mobo. Most cards today don't fully use PCIe bandwith. Most may not next year. But if you want cutting edge today or want to continue using mobo for two or three years and upgrade to new graphics card technology, then having this technology might be important. Also - over that time more software should take advantage of the other features.

September 24, 2007 4:12:32 PM

rockyjohn said:
I think it depends mostly on how long you want to use your mobo. Most cards today don't fully use PCIe bandwith. Most may not next year. But if you want cutting edge today or want to continue using mobo for two or three years and upgrade to new graphics card technology, then having this technology might be important. Also - over that time more software should take advantage of the other features.

Good idea, I'm in no hurry to buy now so maybe I'll wait a month or two and get me a motherboard that have pci-e 2.0 slots, then just get an 8800 for now until good pci-e 2.0 cards come out.
Anyone have any time frame or heard anything about the expected release date for the x38 chipset on motherboards? I've read september, august, october, etc...there has to be an official date set by now
September 24, 2007 4:35:32 PM

I don't think we need to phase out the PCI-Express yet. Todays graphics card don't even fully used the 16x bus lane.
September 24, 2007 11:49:43 PM

chuckshissle said:
I don't think we need to phase out the PCI-Express yet. Todays graphics card don't even fully used the 16x bus lane.

True, I'm sure they'll be around for years, AGP's are still being made (I'm still using a Radeon 9600 Pro)
September 25, 2007 5:09:24 PM

Should I wait for pci-e 2.0? Build a pci-e 1.0 system now? Or just buy the best AGP card out and wait to build?
September 25, 2007 5:28:06 PM

Unless you need the graphics performance now, don't waste your money on a new AGP card only to have it out of date right out of the box. Wait as long as you need to and then upgrade your system to pci-e 1.0 or 2.0 (depending on how long you wait).
September 25, 2007 5:29:55 PM

Of coarse itll be phased out. Theres no downsides to using PCI-E2 its still all compatible, its called moving forward.

PCI-E will be phased for for no2 but that basically means squat, since PCI-e cards will work in PCI-E2 perfectly.
January 8, 2008 1:01:56 PM

:hello:  The ati HD 3850 has the 2.0 piping system and can be bought at www.newegg.com for a couple of hundred dollars.
!