Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 64 X2 Core Die and Heat Spreader - Construction

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 6, 2007 3:31:54 PM

Recently while cleaning old Thermal Grease off of my Athlon 64 X2, I noticed, what appears to be some kind of seal between the IHS and the PCB wafer. Then I noticed there was a Gap in the seal on one of the 4 sides of the IHS. So I decided I wanted to find out more about the construction of the CPU package. AMD has a document("Functional Data Sheet order# 31117" ) that is under their Non-Disclosure policy, and no matter how I tried they will not give up this document or more info.

All I want to know is more about the Physical construction the the CPU. Is that really a seal between the IHS and wafer.? Why does the "seal" have a Gap on one of the 4 sides.? Where are the Die Cores located under the IHS, are they in the exact center of wafer/IHS.?

Thanks for any info/links anyone can provide me with. I did search the INTERNET a lot without gleaning much info of this type.

THX,
kenr77
September 7, 2007 12:13:01 AM

Thanks JoeFriday,

The article is dated back in 2005, but I don't suppose things changed that much from Athlon 64 to the Athlon 64 X2....?????

.......kenr77
September 7, 2007 10:31:26 PM

dont be an assssss
!