X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Installation

D-Roo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Could someone (with lots of computer and sound card experience) please tell me the correct way to install my X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card...I've heard that it can cause major problems if you dont install it right so I dont want to take any chances. I use windows vista by the way.

My Computer Specs...

-Antec 900 Case
-Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard
-E6750 (I think thats the right number) Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz Processor
-2 gigs Kingston HyperX
-eVGA 8800GTS 640mb
-700W FSP Power Supply
-WD 250 GB Hard Drive

I hope that gives all the need info (if needed at all)

Again...I use windows vista...So it would be best to hear from someone who uses vista and uses a X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card...

-Thanks

D-Roo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Do i need to like uninstall previous sound drivers or anything like that? If so, how would i know what exactly to uninstall (I use the Abit IP35 pro which has an integrated sound thing and thats what im using at the moment).

D-Roo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Where do I find the drivers and what exactly to i delete? Like what will the file be called?

And walk me through the process off disabling the sound in BIOS please...thanks

Don't mess with the bios unless you have to. Chances are good that it would be set to "auto", which means if you install a sound card, it will "point" to that and not cause a problem.

Install the card, boot up, let windows find the card and wait til it says it wants to look on the net for drivers. Hit cancel. It'll say new hardware installed but may not run properly in the lower right corner. No sweat. Goto the newest drivers that you previously downloaded for your card and system, and install. Do a reboot. Should work.

D-Roo

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
So before I insert the card i should download the newest drivers and save them somewhere,possibly the desktop, (don't install them) and then do what you said?

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Just follow my instructions. You don't need to uninstall any drivers. You don't need to disable anything in the BIOS.
Just download the drivers from www.creative.com.

Shutdown the PC.

Unplug the PC.

Open the case.

Install the card in an open slot, if you have sound card remove it.

Plug the PC in and start windows. Unzip the drivers and install. Reboot and you're done.

TRENDING THREADS