Sign in with
Your question

Need some clarifaction regarding voltages

Last response: in Overclocking
November 24, 2007 8:13:03 AM

Hello everyone. My question is regarding the voltages for cpu, ram, fsb, etc. When the ram or cpu is suppose to run at a certain voltage (take my 2.2 V ballistix for example), am I correct in assuming the voltage is simply the mobo default plus the additional voltages? I have the DS3L and the vdimm is at 1.8 by default, so i have +0.4V to match 2.2V for my ram. However, the voltage reported to me by speedfan is much lower ( at default 1.8V it will report 1.87, at 2.0V it will report 1.97, 2.3V will report 2.1V). Should i compensate for the drop and match the "real" voltages, or is it maybe something to do with inaccurate sensors?

Same thing with my e4500, which should be 1.185V and is 1.14V. This is at idle, so vdroop doesn't play a role yet.

ps. I have yet to update my bios for it so would that help? if so, is it best to get the most recent bios from manufacturers, or has there been some versions that tend to be more stable or better performing than others?

More about : clarifaction voltages

November 24, 2007 4:00:22 PM

I have my ballistix ddr2 1066 @ 1000, 4-4-4-12 timings with stock voltage of 2.2 on a P5K deluxe. I would just set it at 2.2, Or if your going to use a 1:1 divider, you can prob. undervolt them or lower the hell out of the latency. That ram is very overclockable with a decent mobo...
November 24, 2007 10:19:22 PM

I understand that they need 2.2V at the rated speed and frequency. I'm only asking if setting them at 2.2V in bios or 2.2V measured voltage (by compensating for the drop)? As I said before, 2.2V in bios has measured only ~2.03V.
Related resources
November 24, 2007 11:27:45 PM

How did you mesure it?
November 25, 2007 7:58:01 AM

Using speedfan and everest.
November 25, 2007 10:39:29 AM

ok I think this answers your question... The company the makes your ram or other parts are expecting to either run default voltage in the bios, ddr2 is 1.8 I believe, or the company that builds the machine to properly set it in the bios. You have to think of the bios as acual voltage even though there is some v-droop from point A to point B
The manufacturer puts v-droop into concideration, so people will run stable at rated volts. They aren't going to expect you to have meters and all kinds of software, that can cost money, just to set up their ram.
November 26, 2007 1:59:40 AM

Oh ok. That's a slight relief. I'm glad to know that they're so thoughtful =). I just assumed that they use the ideal values for marketing and whatnot. So then I won't worry that much about the drop.

However, another question for you. How much of a drop is considered acceptable? ~5 - 10% drop in voltage? Thank you very much for your help so far deranged.
November 26, 2007 3:30:37 AM

no problem... Glad to help.I wouldn't worry about v-droop at all, so long as your running stable. aceptable drop in voltage, I really can't tell you as that is kind of circumstantial. I wouldn't exceed factory limits in voltage, ( that way you can maintain your warrenty) and just check stability and heat. I
have found my q6600 stays stable at 3.0ghz, and a vcore of 1.2625 in the bios. But my mother board has a "voltage damper" feature that keeps vdroop under control. With boards that do not have this feature you may need to make the vcore:1.270 or 1.275 worst case is maybe 1.3. So my point is all of these settings are well under max. factory specs and will not harm your computer, as long as temperatures are under control as well. Same thought process goes for all other parts in the computer. (these numbers are safe for my computer and hardware, not ness. yours, just want to clarify) good luck
!