can i take my windows vista from my dell in any way to another pc

btguitargod

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
i recently bought a dell pc. however soon after i decided it wasnt what i wanted an started to build a new pc. however i dont want to buy another copy of vista. i wondered is it possible to take it from the dell an put it on the new pc instead for example if could i take the harddrive from the dell would that work because i know the dell stuff is weird an no compatible most of the time. an help would be great thanks a lot

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
No, Dell Vista is OEM AND Bios-locked. You can't do anything with that Vista key, it dies with that PC. I wouldn't even risk trying, MS may blacklist it so you can't even use it on your Dell (unlikely, but I wouldn't risk it).

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
You could try and explain to the Dell tech that you bought a new MB, CPU, HD and PSU and want to load the OS into the old case with the new parts.

If it works, let us know. Maybe you can find a new tech.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Let's break it down for him, shall we..........
During the installation of Windows the OS takes a virtual snapshot of the system configuration for comparative purposes.
The OS will allow you make hardware changes of most everything except the motherboard, this prevents people from doing exactly what your trying to do, swap a known HDD from one PC to another.
When you attempt to boot the revamped PC with the other HDD the OS would compare the saved virtual snapshot and compare it with the new snapshot, they of course would be out of spec because you changed the motherboard and the system would start yelling........ERROR, ERROR, ERROR (jus kiddin with the audio indicator), all BS aside, it wont boot.

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
AFAIK Vista OEM license is tied to that specific machine it's sold with. So conventionally, you can't use it on other PCs.
Well, unconventionally, you have ways to install your OEM Vista DVD on other PCs. EITHER WAY IT IS PIRACY SO DON'T DO IT.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

piracy..? he bought the computer that came with vista. he can do what he wants with it. would you stop listening to your music CDs in your car and at home if sony decided it was "piracy"?

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005

Looks like you're unable to even read my post let alone the the MS' OEM license. I was just making a warning for the OP so he won't break the license.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

you think i would read the m$ oem license for vista? first off, vista sucks. and i dont think anyone has ever read an entire end-user license for a microsoft product.

it makes no difference if it against the license. if it doesnt work, then it wont work. otherwise his copy of vista will just rest in a closet with his dell for eternity. why should he not try to get a workaround to get something he paid for to work?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Well, it's questionable whether it would be piracy so long as it's on a single device.

MS Claims you are not supposed to do this, but they have never defended it in court.

If you happen to have bought the PC in Europe, it would be 100% legal for sure.

To make it work, you would likely need to call MS to get them to reactivate Vista. From what I have read, they generally do that for you. Most of the phone guys don't want the hassle of an arguement.

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
The problem is the OEM license is different than the retail license. You can only activate it on one machine and can't reactivate it on any other PC.You make it run on other PC then you have broken the license and that is breaking the law. It's the world we live in. You wont get support directly from MS either (who need MS support) and only get it from your PC vendor or yourself if you are the one bought it. That's why it's sold at half the price.

The OEM license is not only for Windows Vista but for the whole Windows line BTW IIRC. Office OEM has a separate license.

nazaretian

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
This migh be besides the point because the installation disk is from Dell, but...

I think you can transfer your license for Vista. It WILL deactivate Vista on your Dell PC, but then you can install it on your PC. I know that's how Vista is if you bought the disk from the store, but with the Dell disk, I can't really tell you.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Basically MS does not want you to do this, but nothing is stopping you from doing this.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp

In addition, users should still be subject to the same familiar re-activation restrictions as users of a retail Vista license and Windows XP, a spokeswoman said. Users can alter the PC's hardware substantially, but they will be forced to reactivate – not repurchase the OEM software – if they do, she said.

One system builder pointed out, however, that Microsoft's OEM license forbids the software from being transferred to a whole new machine, from scratch, once it is installed on the original target machine.

grimskull

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
vista is crap...... to much of a resource hog on your PC. Get ubuntu with beryl on it..... check the vids out on you tube. Ubuntu is free so you dont have to pay for it, and it kick vistas ***!

Or...

Buy a copy of XP Pro SP2........ better than vista.......