Active X and I.E.

I keep getting the error message on boot that "Your current security
settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. As a result, the
page may not display correctly."
However, my I.E. setting are all set to default.
So, what do I do??
-Pete
13 answers Last reply
More about active

    Pete wrote:
    > I keep getting the error message on boot that "Your current security
    > settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. As a result, the
    > page may not display correctly."
    > However, my I.E. setting are all set to default.
    > So, what do I do??
    > -Pete

    ---------------

    Personally, I'd be content. Allowing any web site in the universe to run
    Active-X controls is not something I'd do. I point of fact, the main reason I
    went to Firefox was to *ensure* that Active-X could not be run on my machine by
    the browser by accident even.

    Bill

    "Pete" <Pete@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I keep getting the error message on boot that "Your current security
    >settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. As a result,
    >the page may not display correctly."
    > However, my I.E. setting are all set to default.
    > So, what do I do??

    Can you go into those security settings to change them? In what
    security zone are you visiting this site (take a look down at the
    right-side of the status bar)?

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 12:41:59 GMT, Pete wrote:

    > I keep getting the error message on boot that "Your current security
    > settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. As a result, the
    > page may not display correctly."
    > However, my I.E. setting are all set to default.
    > So, what do I do??
    > -Pete

    Pete, what do you have loading at startup? A desktop with web content that
    uses an activex component? The browser or another internet program trying
    to connect to a site that loads an activex control? Or?

    Figure out what is trying to run an activex component. Decide if you need
    or want that item and then address the activex situation accordingly.

    Active desktop content is listed in Display> Desktop> Cutomize> Web.
    Msconfig > Startup or System Information> Startup can help identify startup
    items. ActiveX settings are sprinkled throughout Internet Options. Look in
    Security (settings can be applied differently by zone) and on the Advanced
    page.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)"
    <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net> wrote in message
    > Pete wrote:
    >> I keep getting the error message on boot that "Your current security
    >> settings prohibit running Active X controls on this page. As a
    >> result, the page may not display correctly."
    >> However, my I.E. setting are all set to default.
    >> So, what do I do??
    >> -Pete
    >>

    > ---------------
    >
    > Personally, I'd be content.

    Oh, joy, yet another Firefox fan posting in the wrong newsgroup
    extolling their omniscient wisdom to crusade their oh-so truly correct
    choice of a web browser but who never does address the question
    presented; i.e., Bill subverts the OP's post with a WRONG answer just so
    he can spam the group with an irrelevant off-topic reply.

    > Allowing any web site in the universe to run Active-X controls is not
    > something I'd do.

    ActiveX downloads can be set to prompt or even disabled in Internet
    Explorer. Execution or scripting of AX controls can also be prompted or
    disabled in IE. I don't see anything in the OP's post asking about your
    personal preferences for which browser to use.

    > I point of fact, the main reason I went to Firefox was to *ensure*
    > that Active-X could not be run on my machine by the browser by
    > accident even.

    And how does that address the OP's actual question? It doesn't and you
    just wanted to proselytize your self-professed wisdom in your personal
    choice of a web browser.

    > Bill

    If you did not want to address the OP's question then don't reply. If
    you dislike and don't use IE and prefer Firefox then stop proselytizing
    over here and go find a Mozilla group; i.e., go wallow in your favorite
    mud hole rather than whine in someone else's that it isn't quite the
    same.

    Vanguard wrote:

    >> Allowing any web site in the universe to run Active-X controls is not
    >> something I'd do.
    >

    > ActiveX downloads can be set to prompt or even disabled in Internet
    > Explorer. Execution or scripting of AX controls can also be prompted or
    > disabled in IE. I don't see anything in the OP's post asking about your
    > personal preferences for which browser to use.

    ---------

    1) I distinctly pointed out that I was describing *my* choice in the matter
    which I think is fair, and did not purport to give an all knowing technical
    answer. Or do you feel only your POV should be allowed and all others censored?

    2) Obviously I know one can disable AX controls. Also I know they can also get
    reset to an "on" setting accidentally -- which has happened to me. For example
    one can have visitors using a machine who reset it without my knowledge. Or
    perhaps a software update "helpfully" does it for me. Personally I'd rather
    know that it's impossible to turn on AX, but I freely admit that is a personal
    choice.

    3) If you choose to use IE and/or AX I'm happy for you. Make your own informed
    choice as I have done. I don't understand your need to rant about it however.

    Bill

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    wrote in message news:Oj4cQRvgFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    > Personally, I'd be content. Allowing any web site in the universe to run
    > Active-X controls is not something I'd do. I point of fact, the main
    reason I
    > went to Firefox was to *ensure* that Active-X could not be run on my
    machine by
    > the browser by accident even.

    I suspect he might just want to know how to suppress the error rather than
    enable ActiveX.

    CWatters wrote:
    > "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    > wrote in message news:Oj4cQRvgFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > >

    >>Personally, I'd be content. Allowing any web site in the universe to run
    >>Active-X controls is not something I'd do. I point of fact, the main
    >
    > reason I
    >
    >>went to Firefox was to *ensure* that Active-X could not be run on my
    >
    > machine by
    >
    >>the browser by accident even.
    >>

    > I suspect he might just want to know how to suppress the error rather than
    > enable ActiveX.

    ------------

    Quite possibly. I overlooked that possibility and made an assumption...

    Bill

    We just want you not to rant about the netscape browser.

    David Candy wrote:
    > We just want you not to rant about the netscape browser.

    Never did, never will. All I said was that I personally choose to use Firefox
    (not Netscape).

    Bill

    Well don't. It's irrelevent.

    David Candy wrote:
    > Well don't. It's irrelevent.

    I thank you greatly for your personal instruction on this matter. I certainly
    wouldn't want to ever mention anything on a board that you consider irrelevant.

    Bill

    Good, we can stop having netscape shoved down our throats.

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net> wrote in message news:u2NCG3xgFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > David Candy wrote:
    >> Well don't. It's irrelevent.
    >>

    > I thank you greatly for your personal instruction on this matter. I certainly
    > wouldn't want to ever mention anything on a board that you consider irrelevant.
    >
    > Bill

    Well said.
    Damo

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    wrote in message news:Oh%23r%23vwgFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >>> Allowing any web site in the universe to run Active-X controls is not
    >>> something I'd do.
    >>

    >> ActiveX downloads can be set to prompt or even disabled in Internet
    >> Explorer. Execution or scripting of AX controls can also be prompted or
    >> disabled in IE. I don't see anything in the OP's post asking about your
    >> personal preferences for which browser to use.
    >
    > ---------
    >
    > 1) I distinctly pointed out that I was describing *my* choice in the
    > matter which I think is fair, and did not purport to give an all knowing
    > technical answer. Or do you feel only your POV should be allowed and all
    > others censored?
    >
    > 2) Obviously I know one can disable AX controls. Also I know they can
    > also get reset to an "on" setting accidentally -- which has happened to
    > me. For example one can have visitors using a machine who reset it
    > without my knowledge. Or perhaps a software update "helpfully" does it
    > for me. Personally I'd rather know that it's impossible to turn on AX,
    > but I freely admit that is a personal choice.
    >
    > 3) If you choose to use IE and/or AX I'm happy for you. Make your own
    > informed choice as I have done. I don't understand your need to rant
    > about it however.
    >
    > Bill

Activex Error Message Microsoft Windows XP