Your question

Which external HD?: WD or Seagate or?

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Western Digital
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 26, 2008 2:54:56 PM

I'd like to get an external hard drive and since I plan on buying a cheap laptop later on, I would like an external drive that has the dual interface, eSATA and USB.

I thought it should be between:

WD MYBOOK 500GB PREMIUM ES COMBO USB2.0/SATA (HD-WD-WDG1SU5000N)
or
Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 500 GB - external - 3.5" - Hi-Speed USB / eSATA-300 - 7200 rpm (ST305004FPB1E2-RK)

It doesn't have to be 500GB but I thought if these are being used for backup, it's probably best to have a 320+ GB drive.

Could someone recommend a drive and/or discuss the merits of either drive or give an opinion of which is better and why?

If there is another brand to consider, please list and mention. I don't think I want a USB-only drive since it's slow but for a laptop, I think I am restricted to only the usb interface (right?). The laptop would probably be an older Thinkpad T4x or some Pentium M 1.6 GHz laptop. I don't think the newer Core 2 Duo laptops have the eSATA interfaces yet.

More about : external seagate

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
December 25, 2008 9:38:41 AM

Forget Western Digital, I have had 3 of them and they stink!
I had tons of pics and Music on mine when I cam back from Iraq and it crashed! Computer kept telling me need to format drive (and we know what that will do)!
Western Digital replaced it (doesn't help the lost files), but shortly therafter it happened again!
They refuse to respond!

I'm doing some research on Seagate and that may be the way to go!
February 20, 2009 3:25:51 PM

I would recommend Network sotrage server like Maxtor 1 TB from seagate it is a great way to backup all your data outomatically, and if you have more than one computer it will back up those files too. You can even access your data from anywhere in the world by simply log in into your external HDD. Just simly connect it to your router and that's it.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/hard-drive-backup/external-dri...

dse879
May 11, 2009 11:21:32 PM

Watch out for crappy seagate freeagent drives, the usb connect is straight to the pc board with no "strain relief" connection to the case. The inevitable result is breakage of the usb port disabling the drive, forcing my current situation of attempting to extract and convert the drive to internal sata, wish me luck.
!