Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + P5K ?

jbourassa

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Hello,

I apologize in advance if ever the question has already been asked, but I didnt find anything with the search feature.

I am about to buy a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme to push my overclock a little bit. I am wondering if it'll fit with my Asus P5K (vanilla) and a ThermalTake Matrix VX case.

Also, I don't know which 120mm fan should I be looking at for this Heatsink? I was thinking a fan with a mobo connector so I can decide on the speed, correct? Any brands/models?

Thanks.

kez1304

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
I've got a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme in my Antec Nine Hundred case.

It fits okay (although the top of the heatsink only just clears the door to my case, but i'm assuming they've designed it to accommodate the standard width of a case). Because it can be mounted vertically or horizontally it should be able to avoid any unforseable problems (and also let you manage your airflow better).

Mine clears the Northbridge Heatsink (which sticks maybe an inch(?) off the board) by a fair amount on my DS3 Mobo.

Only issue I did have was when I mounted my Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 12cm (2000rpm [41.6cfm]) (can't say whether I recommend the fan or not as I haven't had anything else to compare it to), I couldn't get my case door back on as the fan on the door would lap over the fan on the Thermalright.

3 Minutes with a hack-saw later, I cut a half the corner (Just the plastic bit, not reaching the fins) off and all is well again.

Hope you can find something in all of that will you help you out a bit!

jbourassa

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Wonderful guys, thanks for the answer!

Last thing I need to know before I actually order it, will it fit in a ThermalTake Matrix VX case? The case is pretty small, and it would be horrible to find out it doesnt fit when I receive the heatsink =(

If not, I noticed that the Thermalright Ultima 90 seems to be a great buy too, being one of the best according to AnandTech (http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3068&p=6), and definatly looks smaller.

kez1304

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
I think the 120 is probably the way to go (in terms of keeping temps down anyway), I'm at work at the moment so i can't give you a definate kind of size measurement but I'm immagining that because of the size of optical drives (for example) all cases are made to AT LEAST a certain width and the ultra will fit into that size category... if that makes sense?

When I get home in a couple of hours I'll measure mine and see how far it sits off of my MB so you can know for sure. But at a guess I'd put my money on it fitting quite happily.

jbourassa

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Ok I measured my case clearing, and I have rhoughly 180mm from the board to the lid, and ~170mm from Intel's stock heatsink (measuring from the bottom) to the lid.

Thermalright's ultra 120 Xtreme is 160.5mm. Im pretty sure it'll fit in, so im ordering it as soon as I figure which fan to stick on it =)

Thanks for the answer and I'll update the thread when I'll receive it!

jbourassa

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
It fits in! Pretty freankin tight, but it fits in :D

Weird thing tho, one of my core is always really cooler than the other. I might have used too much thermal paste, but its keeping the beast pretty cool now, 20C~15 cooler than before on load.

I'm trying to push it right now, currently pretty stable @ 3.4ghz with a e6750. Hoping to reach 3.6 - 3.8 would be best but ... ;)

kez1304

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
my core #0 and #3 are always about 5-7C* hotter than my #1 and #2 (according to CoreTemp).

Go figure - not really a biggy so long as nothing gets above ~65C*.