4 GB XMS vs. 2 GB Dominator Corsair

The 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (Latency 4/promo chips) is priced $60, and the 4 GB Dominator 1066 (latency 5/micron d9) is priced at 135$. That means I can either get two sets of the XMs, for 120$ FOR 4gb or 135$ for 2 GB Dominator.

My $2K build (next week) will be used mostly for gaming, (such as Quake 4, Supreme Commander, Bioshock, Oblivion, Crysis), and a moderate amount of programming/web design (C++, Java, Ajax, Macromedia/Coldfusion), and a little graphics/sound editing (CS3, Maya, Audacity).

I will be using Windows XP Pro/ with a chance of dual booting Vista for DX10 purposes.

Parts:

Antec P182
Seagate 500GB SATAII HD
Corsair HX620 watt PSU
Asus/Gigabyte X38 Mobo
eVGA 8800 GTX
INtel Q6600 2.40GHz (Oced on Thermalright 90 ultima/Scythe SFlex to 3.2GHz)
X-Fi Extremegamer Fatal1ty Pro
Samsung 20" 204BW 1680X1050
Logitech z-5300e 5.1 speakers

Will 2GB of Dominator or 4 GB of XMS2 perform better for me?
64 answers Last reply
More about dominator corsair
  1. You need to use xp 64bit in order to access the 4 gb. Also if you plan to OC I wouldn't recommend the XPS modules. It seems corsair is swapping out their ram lines with promo IC chips instead of the D9 microns they use to use in some of their XMS models. It's pissed off quite a few people....Choice is yours...If you don't plan to OC..Then the XPS will do you fine...IF you know for sure the dominator are microns (there has been word of them being swapped with IC in a few posts out there)...then yea..but make sure you got a 64bit os.
  2. I know that about XP (I'm still going to use 32bit though, the 4 GB will be used for VIsta, if it ever gets better).

I plan to OC the CPU to 3.2GHz, and I know that the Dominators have D9 chips.

What do you mean by the 64bit OS for 2 gB??
  3. Hmm?..You lost me with that last question....

32 bit OS' can't use 4 gb worth of memory..Even if it's vista..They have a 32bit vista as well as a 64bit vista. If you are going to us a 32bit vista you are still not able to use all 4 gb. In order to use all 4 gb in Vista or Xp you will need to have a 64bit version...Using 4gb in a 32bit environment (Like I am right now) will report only 2.8-3.5 depending on the system....
  4. Got it!

So my dual boot plan: 32bit XP (64bit had bad performance?) and 64bit Vista
  5. Go with the 4gigs, it will be worth it.
  6. 64 bit doesn't have bad performance...I don't know where that came from. 64 bit has had issues at the start with a lack of 64 bit drivers. That issue is pretty much non existent for current hardware now...Same for vista...but for vista it was more along the lines of the new os ran things differently..Which required fresh drivers from everyone... The only big issue with vista though is that older software tends not to work thanks to the new way vista operates......If I was you I'd nab a 64bit version of both. choice is yours though...
  7. i say go for XP64 and VISTA 32 , my XP 64 doesnt have a problem @ all
  8. Why go 32?..It literally makes no sense considering you are getting 4gb worth of ram. Anyways vista requires the more ram compared to XP...

BTW..I forgot to mention. Keep in mind XMS modules and dominators dimms are slowly coming off D9 micron. There have been reports of them using Promo IC's...not very good for over clocking. You might want to get OCZ Reaper modules although they cost a bit..Or just nab Crucial Ballistix modules which are a great deal. Both running D9 Micron..
  9. Pretty sure the doms from Egg are d9....---beard to reasure me?

Well, might do XP 64bit and Vista 32bit then....will vista 32bit run 4 gigs?

Which one will actually give me better performance in real-life apps, 4gigs of good ram, or 2gigs of great ram?
  10. the d9gmhs are better chips, i'd get the 4gb kit for that reason, regardless of the specs, the d9s are better
  11. no vista 32 will run 3.2 instead of 4GB , i recommended XP 64 , because its a solid OS , full 4GB Support, 64BIT support , better gaming exprience than VISTA
  12. will XP support 3 gig or 3.5 gig of ram?, (same brand & chip 2 & 1 giga pieces)?

btw does XP 64 bit is compatible to every 32 bit software & driver?

thanks
  13. XP 32 supports 3.2GB RAM ,

for your second Q , well i installed LOST PLANET , BF2 , BF2142, MEDAL OF HONOR : AIRBORNE, JET AUDIO , POWER DVD , DAP , MEDIA CENTER ..... and i didnt have any problems

just when i wanted to intall BF2/BF2142 , it said this game is designed for 32bit windows , but it runs fine and very well
  14. Quote:
    the d9gmhs are better chips, i'd get the 4gb kit for that reason, regardless of the specs, the d9s are better

??

the 4GB kit is promo..
  15. umph?
  16. Go with 4Gb, DD2 800 isn't overclocked until you go over a 400mhz fsb (3.6Ghz on a Q6600).
  17. is that true??

anyone agree?
  18. DDR stands for Double Data Rate. DDR2 runs at 2x the FSB.
    Intel CPUs have a quad pumped FSB (4x fsb) a 1066Mhz processor like the Q6600 runs at a defalt or stock speed at 266.5 MHz
    The Q6600 has a multiplier of 9x so at stock speed (266.5 x 9) you get 2398.5MHz or 2.4Ghz.
    DDR2 533 is the minimum ram speed to run with this processor. Anything over this will either downclock to match the fsb or change the fsb:ram ratio so the memory runs at a higher speed than the CPU.
    Don't believe me do a little wiki or google, or ask all the n00bs I'm sure they will give you the right answer.
  19. ^ Yep, Gh0stDrag0n is right.
  20. not all true. u can run a q6600 with ddr1 pc3200.(asrock quad vsta).too tired to type.gnight
  21. I second that, GhOstDragOn is correct.

I would go w/ 4 gigs...
  22. For the record, Promos makes good ICs. The primary difference with them and the Micron D9s is that the Promos do not respond as well to voltage and therefore do not OC as well. However, this is not due to an inferior IC. The Promos has onboard voltage regulation so they do most of their speed at 2.1v. Anything above that simply makes more heat. Virtually every memory company worth mentioning is using Promos ICs.

That said, based on the OPs usage requirements, the 4gb option sounds best IMO.
  23. deusex said:
    Quote:
    the d9gmhs are better chips, i'd get the 4gb kit for that reason, regardless of the specs, the d9s are better

??

the 4GB kit is promo..

Here is link that list that show what memory modules types are use in Ram. It is a little outdated, but it is still good.

http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

If you are going for 4gbs of ram, would look at the Geil Black Dragon series (some are Quad Channel) or look at Gskill and Crucial Ballistix.

Here is another good site with good prices on Ram below.

http://www.memoryc.com/products/type/Computer_Memory/DDR2/index.html
  24. saw this posted recently (Sep 12th?) on another forum by yellowbeard

Quote:
    Corsair 8500C5D IC UPDATE
    Hey guys, just figured I'd give you guys a heads up on this.

Effective immediately, Corsair will be using a new IC in addition to the current Micron ICs used in the Dominator 8500C5D modules. Due to increased demand for this speed grade we have obtained and qualified a new Qimonda 70nm IC that has been qualified for 8500C5D speeds. This change will be noted on the part number printed on the heat spreaders, all the Micron revision parts will remain marked as ver.1.x while the Qimonda will be marked ver.2.x.

As a nice side bonus, the Qimonda ICs can run 1066 MHz at lower voltage, so the spec on the new version has been changed from 2.2V to 2.1V. Also, due to characteristics of the Qimonda ICs, running four modules at 1066 MHz is significantly less challenging on most boards. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in this thread and we%u2019ll answer them as soon as possible. Thanks again.

For performance benchmarks of a random sample, please check this thread on our own support forums:
    http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62989

feel free to ask questions here or there.

Better chips than micron?
  25. I would go with the 4 gigs of xms, I have 2 twin pairs in my xp box, running my e6750 at 3.4ish very well.

My 8 multiplier vs your 9 means my fsb is running faster to get a higher clock speed. Currently in the 430 range, and my xms is running smartly, and at about 2.0 voltage.

64 bit problems occur on any driver not signed/verified by microsoft. You know, the little popup you get installing stuff that says something like " this is not signed/verified by microsoft, do you wish to continue?"

64 bit stops that and will not allow you to install it even if you want to.

Will be better once everything is properly vistacised, prolly around sp2!

I want the 64 bit vista, but will wait till the sp1 to really lean to it. Most recognized online experts like Paul Thurrot's(sp) windows supersite recommend against it at this time.
  26. 32bit Windows can adress 4 GB RAM.
    This includes graphics ram wich means the amount of physical memory the system can adress will generally be between 3-3.75 GB.
  27. I have a copy of windows ultimate vista 32bit, I am going to be running a 8800gts 640mb graphics card, so if i install 4gb of ddr2-800 memory the 32bit os will only see about 3.3gb of it, is this correct?

If the above is correct i don't really think it's worth the 64 bit driver problems just to see that last .7gb of memory or is it?

TC :)
  28. I vote for 4gb. The real (vs synthetic benchmark) application difference in performance between fastest and slowest ram is in the low single digits. Saving just a few page faults is worth vastly more than that. With a 32 bit os, you will see only about 3.3gb, but that is a lot better than 2gb.

I have recently upgraded to VISTA-64 , and 4gb and have had no problems. In fact, it seems snappier, and I understand that it is somewhat more secure. I had no driver problems. My only real problem was that it won't run older 16 bit dos games like my favorite Civilization II 2.42. Civ2-MGE will work though. I think it is easiest to change an OS on a new build instead of upgrading and buying two licenses. If you have a retail copy of ultimate, you can gat a home premium license for $50, and you should also have a 64-bit dvd.

---good luck---
  29. deusex said:

Better chips than micron?

I also want to know if the Corsair 8500C5D IC is better than the normal D9s. I hope they are.
  30. Both are great ICs and meet the 1066 spex. However, they have different strong points. The Microns will still respond to high voltages better than any other IC and therefore typically OC a bit better. However, we are seeing the Quimonda based memory run slightly better at a lower voltage (2.1v instead of 2.2v) and this is especially helpful when running 4 up.
  31. XMSYellowbeard said:
    Both are great ICs and meet the 1066 spex. However, they have different strong points. The Microns will still respond to high voltages better than any other IC and therefore typically OC a bit better. However, we are seeing the Quimonda based memory run slightly better at a lower voltage (2.1v instead of 2.2v) and this is especially helpful when running 4 up.

Thanks for sharing this. The ICs seem great.
    I just hope they work as well with the Asus P5B (p965) as the Micron 9Ds.
  32. How are these for 4gb compared to the dominator/xms2?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

Available for 180$ AR.....are these micron?
  33. 4gb over the speed of the memory, aslong as its over 333mhz thats quite enough IMO. 4gb in like Vista64 will give you a decent performance boost in non-games. And if you run a lot of background things like me then it will give you some performance in games, thats not directly performance in a game though, if ya know what I mean :D
  34. I really don't get why this thread has become so long.....It's not that difficult of a discussion..

If you aren't going to OC then pretty much any memory will due. The 2x2 gb kit will help for upgrading to 8 gb down the road. Unfortunately there are not many d9 micron 2x2 gb kits...I think I heard one was just released but not sure from which vendor..Although it may be false information to begin with. Don't remember where I heard it....

If you are planning to OC the Micron chips, it will be a much better candidate. Performance wise you won't be able to tell the difference between the promo Ic's and d9 microns at stock speeds. But if you OC your d9 microns, you will be able to push them farther and have them live longer. So don't confuse this with "You get better performance from d9's at stock then promo ic chips"...It's a false discussion...There will be minor performance differences from all memory modules...but nothing you will notice...

So the choice is which you want. D9 microns which are mostly 1 gb modules with great oc'ing?...or you can nab these 2x2 gb kits which mostly use non d9 micron chips. Performance will be good on both..But don't expect to overclock the non d9 chips as far or have them last as long as d9 microns..

regarding the operating system...64 bit has become well placed in terms of software. Also keep in mind windows 64 has WOW64 implementation which lets 32 bit applications run as well (But note you want 64 bit drivers....Which pretty much all new manufacturers support)...But in terms of vista...32bit or 64bit you'll have problems with older software due to the new way vista operates. There is very little performance difference in using a 32bit app on a 64bit os. So it all comes down to this. Do you want your OS to see all the ram or some of it?..Will you be using all the ram on your tasks to begin with?....Just evaluating your uses should give you your definite answer on which OS you should go with. I'd end up going with both 64 bit as there is literally very little penalty in running nothing but 32 bit applications on a 64 bit os...So why not have your system recognize all your memory?...there is really no penalty...

But the choice is yours...If I was in your shoes I'd nab both 64 bit operating systems and have my system recognize everything. 64bit was introduced quite a way back and has been implemented and matured to the point where there really is no reason to nab a 32bit os if you're using 4 or more gigs of ram....Also, to bring up the point you're considering 2x2 gb sticks means you want to have the possibility of going 8 gigs in the future..WHY on gods green earth would you get a 32 bit os if you want to be able to upgrade to 8gb in the future...your 32 bit os will only note 3.2 as accessible....not a smart logical choice...But the choice is yours.
  35. Kamrooz said:
    I really don't get why this thread has become so long.....It's not that difficult of a discussion..

If you aren't going to OC then pretty much any memory will due. The 2x2 gb kit will help for upgrading to 8 gb down the road. Unfortunately there are not many d9 micron 2x2 gb kits...I think I heard one was just released but not sure from which vendor..Although it may be false information to begin with. Don't remember where I heard it....

If you are planning to OC the Micron chips, it will be a much better candidate. Performance wise you won't be able to tell the difference between the promo Ic's and d9 microns at stock speeds. But if you OC your d9 microns, you will be able to push them farther and have them live longer. So don't confuse this with "You get better performance from d9's at stock then promo ic chips"...It's a false discussion...There will be minor performance differences from all memory modules...but nothing you will notice...

So the choice is which you want. D9 microns which are mostly 1 gb modules with great oc'ing?...or you can nab these 2x2 gb kits which mostly use non d9 micron chips. Performance will be good on both..But don't expect to overclock the non d9 chips as far or have them last as long as d9 microns..

regarding the operating system...64 bit has become well placed in terms of software. Also keep in mind windows 64 has WOW64 implementation which lets 32 bit applications run as well (But note you want 64 bit drivers....Which pretty much all new manufacturers support)...But in terms of vista...32bit or 64bit you'll have problems with older software due to the new way vista operates. There is very little performance difference in using a 32bit app on a 64bit os. So it all comes down to this. Do you want your OS to see all the ram or some of it?..Will you be using all the ram on your tasks to begin with?....Just evaluating your uses should give you your definite answer on which OS you should go with. I'd end up going with both 64 bit as there is literally very little penalty in running nothing but 32 bit applications on a 64 bit os...So why not have your system recognize all your memory?...there is really no penalty...

But the choice is yours...If I was in your shoes I'd nab both 64 bit operating systems and have my system recognize everything. 64bit was introduced quite a way back and has been implemented and matured to the point where there really is no reason to nab a 32bit os if you're using 4 or more gigs of ram....Also, to bring up the point you're considering 2x2 gb sticks means you want to have the possibility of going 8 gigs in the future..WHY on gods green earth would you get a 32 bit os if you want to be able to upgrade to 8gb in the future...your 32 bit os will only note 3.2 as accessible....not a smart logical choice...But the choice is yours.

Ok. lets make this thread short.
    What is the best 2x2 gb DDR2 sticks money can buy for overclocking & stability (exact brand/model please)?
  36. For 2x2 there are very little D9 choices....So it's hard to say. Chip/module densities also come in to play as well...

The 2x2 gb chips will not overclock as well as the 1gb models. 2x2 kits are still a bit in their infancy in terms of oc ability and speed. Heck...800 Rated 2x2 gb sticks are quite young...just a few months old if memory serves me right. There are also no 1066 kits atm I believe...2x2 is still a bit young...BUT...There are a couple d9 micron 2x2 gb kits floating around. Here's one that's also the best overclocker of the bunch, but not near the lvl of the 2x1 gb d9 kits....Also do keep in mind there are more versions then just "D9 Micron"...There are MANY different variations...This 2x2 gb kit atm seems to be the best overclocker for it's price...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146691

It uses D9GSV IC's...But keep in mind there are MANY different Micron D9 Ic's...tons of them. An example for 2x1 modules would be the D9GMH and G9GKX..Both great for overclocking but the GKX imo is a bit better....They are both very similar..But I believe the GKX have more headroom...

But the point is there are TONS of D9 variations...So it's hard to narrow down one without searching through lots and lots of info. But overall this Mushkin kit seems to be the best for price/OCing atm...2x4 gb kits are now starting to rise but they are around 533 and 667 rated speed...With time all the larger modules will increase in speed and start adapting different chips....so time will tell..But yea...2x2 gb d9 micron modules are somewhat rare....Newegg is sold out of the mushkin modules too..so overall it's difficult. I'm running through a similar dilemma for my new rig. Four 1 gb modules or a set of 2x2 gb......tough choices overall..

That's my 2 cents..If you are going to OC at all atleast nab the mushkin modules. Find them around somewhere and pick'em up. Just use the specifications tab on the newegg link to get the model info. But ATM...2x2 gb is still young when it comes to OC'ing...a 2x1gb kit would get you much further...But if you're just gonna give a mild overclock...Then this should do you fine.
  37. Kamrooz said:
    For 2x2 there are very little D9 choices....So it's hard to say. Chip/module densities also come in to play as well...

The 2x2 gb chips will not overclock as well as the 1gb models. 2x2 kits are still a bit in their infancy in terms of oc ability and speed. Heck...800 Rated 2x2 gb sticks are quite young...just a few months old if memory serves me right. There are also no 1066 kits atm I believe...2x2 is still a bit young...BUT...There are a couple d9 micron 2x2 gb kits floating around. Here's one that's also the best overclocker of the bunch, but not near the lvl of the 2x1 gb d9 kits....Also do keep in mind there are more versions then just "D9 Micron"...There are MANY different variations...This 2x2 gb kit atm seems to be the best overclocker for it's price...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146691

It uses D9GSV IC's...But keep in mind there are MANY different Micron D9 Ic's...tons of them. An example for 2x1 modules would be the D9GMH and G9GKX..Both great for overclocking but the GKX imo is a bit better....They are both very similar..But I believe the GKX have more headroom...

But the point is there are TONS of D9 variations...So it's hard to narrow down one without searching through lots and lots of info. But overall this Mushkin kit seems to be the best for price/OCing atm...2x4 gb kits are now starting to rise but they are around 533 and 667 rated speed...With time all the larger modules will increase in speed and start adapting different chips....so time will tell..But yea...2x2 gb d9 micron modules are somewhat rare....Newegg is sold out of the mushkin modules too..so overall it's difficult. I'm running through a similar dilemma for my new rig. Four 1 gb modules or a set of 2x2 gb......tough choices overall..

That's my 2 cents..If you are going to OC at all atleast nab the mushkin modules. Find them around somewhere and pick'em up. Just use the specifications tab on the newegg link to get the model info. But ATM...2x2 gb is still young when it comes to OC'ing...a 2x1gb kit would get you much further...But if you're just gonna give a mild overclock...Then this should do you fine.

Ok, what about the best 2x1 DDR2 memory can buy? Thanks - this is my last question....Something with heatsinks.
  38. That would be a matter of preference..There are sooo many good modules out there there is no definite good one. the D9GKX chips are imo the best but expensive as heck. The D9GMH are also EXTREMELY good and cheaper. Almost all good modules have heatsinks...I really can't say what's the best...They have so many different prices it's impossible...all depends on the buyers budget...But as long as you stick with D9GMH or D9GKX chips you'll be able to overclock with lots of headroom. DDR2 800 rated speed is good for a decent overclock. If you want to push it as far as possible you'll have to nab 1066 modules. But of course you'd need some adequate cooling for your cpu to get that far.

It would take hours to search through all the popular chips to find out what IC's they use. your best bet would be to search google for d9gmh and d9gkx lists...Once you pick a part give a google search on the model number to bring up some info on what they use. Or even better a review that has pictures with the heatsinks removed...(D9 chips have their model written on the actual chip).

Hope that helps. If you have a budget if you're planning to buy something....it'd be nice to know to give out a really quick recommendation.
  39. Kamrooz said:
    That would be a matter of preference..There are sooo many good modules out there there is no definite good one. the D9GKX chips are imo the best but expensive as heck. The D9GMH are also EXTREMELY good and cheaper. Almost all good modules have heatsinks...I really can't say what's the best...They have so many different prices it's impossible...all depends on the buyers budget...But as long as you stick with D9GMH or D9GKX chips you'll be able to overclock with lots of headroom. DDR2 800 rated speed is good for a decent overclock. If you want to push it as far as possible you'll have to nab 1066 modules. But of course you'd need some adequate cooling for your cpu to get that far.

It would take hours to search through all the popular chips to find out what IC's they use. your best bet would be to search google for d9gmh and d9gkx lists...Once you pick a part give a google search on the model number to bring up some info on what they use. Or even better a review that has pictures with the heatsinks removed...(D9 chips have their model written on the actual chip).

Hope that helps. If you have a budget if you're planning to buy something....it'd be nice to know to give out a really quick recommendation.

Thanks for all the advice and SPECIFIC suggestions.! I will look for d9gmh and d9gkx.
    I am willing to spend a lot for good RAM (I had enough experience with cheap RAM already)
    I'm planning on getting the CORSAIR Dominator 4GB(4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500). - with the little fans. I will also look for d9gkx RAM.
    This should be good enough for overclocking and for use with the Yorkfield Core 2 Quad Q9550. (have a E6600 now).
    My case has a 750w PSU, 5x120mm fans, and the CPU is liquid cooled.
    Yes, you did help.
  40. Well if you'd like I could make some recommendations. How much is your budget for ram? Also try to stay away from dominators atm. corsair has been switching some of their D9 chips with Promo IC's. In mostly all the lower modules. I've also heard a few people claiming that some of the dominator dimms are switching to cheaper IC's as well..But this hasn't been confirmed yet. But to be safe I'd stay away from corsair ATM...Lots of unhappy customers.

One thing to keep in mind though is RAM is the LAST thing you want to spend lots of money on. Putting more money on a CPU/Graphics card will give you better performance.

How much are you looking to spend?..Also what are you looking for in terms of modules? 2x2? or 2x1?....2 or 4 gigs if 2x1?...

Also what is the brand/model of your PSU?...putting lots of cash onto a rig and nabbing a cheap psu is the worst thing you do. If it goes out it can take your entire rig with it...Not a smart investment.

Are you going to be upgrading or building a new rig?...Any info would help. If it's a new rig I can put together a rig for you with a budget you have in mind via newegg. If it's a upgrade I can pick out some nice quality parts based on your budget. Also..If it's an upgrade don't forget to state your motherboard and model number...Not all ram is compatible with every motherboard. Always takes research to figure out if everything is compatible.

Just drop a line if you need anything.
  41. Kamrooz said:
    Well if you'd like I could make some recommendations. How much is your budget for ram? Also try to stay away from dominators atm. corsair has been switching some of their D9 chips with Promo IC's. In mostly all the lower modules. I've also heard a few people claiming that some of the dominator dimms are switching to cheaper IC's as well..But this hasn't been confirmed yet. But to be safe I'd stay away from corsair ATM...Lots of unhappy customers.

One thing to keep in mind though is RAM is the LAST thing you want to spend lots of money on. Putting more money on a CPU/Graphics card will give you better performance.

How much are you looking to spend?..Also what are you looking for in terms of modules? 2x2? or 2x1?....2 or 4 gigs if 2x1?...

Also what is the brand/model of your PSU?...putting lots of cash onto a rig and nabbing a cheap psu is the worst thing you do. If it goes out it can take your entire rig with it...Not a smart investment.

Are you going to be upgrading or building a new rig?...Any info would help. If it's a new rig I can put together a rig for you with a budget you have in mind via newegg. If it's a upgrade I can pick out some nice quality parts based on your budget. Also..If it's an upgrade don't forget to state your motherboard and model number...Not all ram is compatible with every motherboard. Always takes research to figure out if everything is compatible.

Just drop a line if you need anything.

I'm an engineer (CAD, video, Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc), so I don't mind spending alot for something I will actually do work on and depend on.
    The video card I have now is a X1950XT, this should be good enough until next year when the r700/g100 comes out.
    The Yorkfield QX9650 is $999 in November! I can save $500-700 just by getting a mid-range yorkfield in January and getting some good RAM.
    I got my PC a year ago with a plan on upgrading.
    This is what I already have:
    Vista 64 Ultimate
    750w OCz PSU
    full tower case - 5 fans
    Asus P5B Deluxe
    E6400 C2D @ 2800 mhz
    X1950XT video card
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    4x 400gig RAID 5
    74 gig Raptor
    Swiftech H20-120 liquid CPU cooling

I got cheap no-name DDR2 800 RAM - this only went to 335 Mhz.. Bah. Did a newegg exchange.

The new RAM still sucks. I can only get 390 Mhz MAX from DDR2 800 :( . I tried raising voltage, adding fans, nothing worked. The CPU seems cool at only 40-50c. Now running at 350 x 8 Mhz.
    I hope to get near 450 Mhz @ CL4 and 2.1 volts. Not sure if the CPU can go that high, but I don't want the RAM to be the limiting factor.

The budget is $1000 for the next-gen mid-range quad-core CPU and 4x1 gigs RAM. Should be enough.
    I do not want to upgrade again for at least 3 years. Just the high-end video card late next year. I am thinking very long term.

I agree 100% the RAM must match the motherboard. My P5B for example can recover from an overclock/underclock if the RAM is an exact mobo match. The Corsair XMS2 works, but can not auto-recover.
    Buying good RAM should not be such a pain!

You seem to know what your're talking about, own a PC parts shop?
    Thanks again!
  42. I wish I owned a pc parts shop...lol...But overall, difficult to make money in terms of building/fixing pc's. It's a hobby for me pretty much. I love to read into hardware so I make sure I devour a decent amount of IT knowledge every day...I was a bit confused though...Do you want me to pick out some parts for you or?...Cause you stated next gen mid range cpu. So what parts do you want me to pick out?..just ram?..or?...

I'm planning to build myself a rig as well within the next following months. Or might just wait till Q1 2008 so I can nab a midrange penryn quad core and a next gen gfx card. Of course with an x38 mobo once they mature a little in terms of bios and hardware. Probably DDR2 since DDR3 is so flippin' expensive. If the new GFX cards aren't out I'll just nab a XFX 8800 or something....Sell it on ebay a month before the new card comes out...Thank god with XFX's double life time warranty and the fact you can transfer the warranty once to a 2nd hand buyer...makes it a easy sell..Plus they have a no hassle overclock warranty as well ^_^.
  43. Kamrooz said:
    I wish I owned a pc parts shop...lol...But overall, difficult to make money in terms of building/fixing pc's. It's a hobby for me pretty much. I love to read into hardware so I make sure I devour a decent amount of IT knowledge every day...I was a bit confused though...Do you want me to pick out some parts for you or?...Cause you stated next gen mid range cpu. So what parts do you want me to pick out?..just ram?..or?...

I'm planning to build myself a rig as well within the next following months. Or might just wait till Q1 2008 so I can nab a midrange penryn quad core and a next gen gfx card. Of course with an x38 mobo once they mature a little in terms of bios and hardware. Probably DDR2 since DDR3 is so flippin' expensive. If the new GFX cards aren't out I'll just nab a XFX 8800 or something....Sell it on ebay a month before the new card comes out...Thank god with XFX's double life time warranty and the fact you can transfer the warranty once to a 2nd hand buyer...makes it a easy sell..Plus they have a no hassle overclock warranty as well ^_^.

Please just suggest some high-end DDR2 1066 2x1 or 4x1 that will work perfectly with my Asus P5B Deluxe.
    2x2 DDR 1066 is better, but I don't know if I can find good overclocking RAM with that capacity and will work well with my mobo.
    Again, I'm willing to spend a lot for good / fast/ stable RAM, but more than $600 / 4 gig is just silly,
    I will get a CPU and video card later, but that is much easier to pick. The rest of my parts seem good enough. You see any other bottlenecks in my rig?
    Ok thanks!
  44. Well.....going back to the poster......my budget is good for under 200$ - under 150$ is even better.
    (my rig is posted in the first post)

I just want to know - what will give me better performance for the money in mostly games and some programming apps -

2X1 GB of Dominator 1066 (~$130)
    4X1 GB of XMS2 800 (~$120)
    2X2 GB of DHX 800 (~$180)

I'll probably use 32bit XP Pro for right now, dual boot 32bit Vista, and once Vista SP1 comes out,switch to 64bit both.
  45. deusex said:
    Well.....going back to the poster......my budget is good for under 200$ - under 150$ is even better.
    (my rig is posted in the first post)

I just want to know - what will give me better performance for the money in mostly games and some programming apps -

2X1 GB of Dominator 1066 (~$130)
    4X1 GB of XMS2 800 (~$120)
    2X2 GB of DHX 800 (~$180)

I'll probably use 32bit XP Pro for right now, dual boot 32bit Vista, and once Vista SP1 comes out,switch to 64bit both.

I think ANY cheap RAM is good enough. Only spend more if you want to overclock.
    Only get 2x2 if you want to add another 4 gigs later.
    As far as RAM speed goes, they are all EXACTLY the same.
    Dominator 1066 @ 266Mhz = XMS2 800 @ 266 Mhz = DHX 800 @ 266 Mhz.
    A Corvette @ 60mph = motorcycle @ 60mph = Tractor @ 60mph. A Mhz is a Mhz is a Mhz.
    For TOTAL System speed, 2 gigs is faster than 1 gig, 4 gigs is faster than 2 gigs, etc. This is because the hard-drive is a lot slower than RAM, so you your PC will be faster if it uses more RAM and less hard-drive storage.
    If you spend more and get the Dominator 1066, you CAN run the RAM faster than cheap RAM (the XMS2 is not that cheap), such as 350-400 Mhz. You need to change this in the Bios settings.
    To answer your question 2x1 Dominator 1066 vs. 4x1 XMS2 800 - The Dominator 1066 is probably faster IF you overclock to the MAX and IF you are running not many small applications. (like just 1 game) .
    In the long term, future larger games might benifit from 4 gigs, then the 4x1 XMS2 800 will be faster.
  46. enewmen; Well said. All CPU's wait at the same speed; if you can save a few hard page faults with more memory, you are vastly better off.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Corsair Product