Sign in with
Your question

A few OCing questions. Thermal paste/Voltage/Memory

Last response: in Overclocking
November 24, 2007 10:34:43 PM

Alright, I got the Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooler. It comes with a little packet of white thermal paste. All reviews Ive seen of this cooler dont use it but use Artic Silver thermal paste. Any reason? I dont really feel like making a special order for thermal paste.....But If its worth it...

Edit: Second question was about voltage but I just realized it was already answered in another thread.

Third, I feel safe with Ocing the CPU as long As I dont use too much voltage. However, how do I make sure I dont screw up my memory? I have Crucial balistix tracer 1066mhz. And yes I did read the sticky but Im still not certian on the momory being affected by the FSB.

Thanks!
November 24, 2007 10:38:22 PM

Memory will be fine as long as you don't run it over it's rated MHz. Put it in 1:1 if you want to be safe until you get a stable OC on your CPU, then work with your memory.

Voltage isn't the problem with your processor. It will be heat.

Check the Temp guide posted by Computronix at the top of this forum for information on that with a G0 Q6600.

I use something other than bundled paste because it can normally be worth 2-3 C over a bundled. MX-2 or Shin-Etsu X23 would be the best there.
November 24, 2007 10:41:37 PM

I didnt realize it made a dif... I'll go order some.

Thanks Cnumartyr, You've been a good help ever since I've been asking around for advice.
Related resources
November 24, 2007 10:49:25 PM

wirelessfender said:
I didnt realize it made a dif... I'll go order some.

Thanks Cnumartyr, You've been a good help ever since I've been asking around for advice.

Np, knowing those Ballistix kits I would think they could run near 1200 MHz without a problem. If you don't feel comfortable overclocking your memory then leave it at 1:1 while OCing and then as close to stock as you can once you settle on an OC.

Glad I could be of help. :) 
November 24, 2007 10:57:53 PM

I just remembered I have a bottle of that zalman thermal grease that came with my old CPU cooler. What are your opinions on that stuff?
November 24, 2007 11:02:37 PM

wirelessfender said:
I just remembered I have a bottle of that zalman thermal grease that came with my old CPU cooler. What are your opinions on that stuff?

Never had any experience with it. I can't give a plus or minus.

I've used AS5 and MX-2 myself. MX-2 outperformed it for me.

The thread that was here a while ago that Computronix linked me to showed Shin Etsu X23 outperforming everything else.
!