XP and Hard disks

Hi,

Is it common for XP to "lose" a drive letter?

I have two HDs each with several partitions and a USB HD. (Plus a CD writer
& DVD reader)

For over 6 months, the partitions took the drive letters D-H. The USB Hard
disk got the letter "I" and the CD & DVD were allocated K & L. Today, on
rebooting, I was unavailable and everything was up one. On unplugging and
replugging the USB drive and rebooting, everything came back to normal, but
I got to wondering. How are these drive letters allocated and stored, and if
everything gets scrambled again, is there a better way of fixing it?
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Yes, it happens! Here's a link explaining the "rules" that Windows uses to
assign drive letters.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/troubleshooting/solutions/89.asp

As the title of the article states, it's usually associated with some change
to your system. In my case, I couldn't get my new SATA drive to register as
C:\. In order to get it to be C:\ I had to unhook my IDE drives and reload
that operating system.

Good luck!

"Ian Hoare" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it common for XP to "lose" a drive letter?
>
> I have two HDs each with several partitions and a USB HD. (Plus a CD writer
> & DVD reader)
>
> For over 6 months, the partitions took the drive letters D-H. The USB Hard
> disk got the letter "I" and the CD & DVD were allocated K & L. Today, on
> rebooting, I was unavailable and everything was up one. On unplugging and
> replugging the USB drive and rebooting, everything came back to normal, but
> I got to wondering. How are these drive letters allocated and stored, and if
> everything gets scrambled again, is there a better way of fixing it?
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

TRENDING THREADS