AHCI question

Hey guys, I have the MSI P35 platinum board and after installing windows and running everything for a while I decided to install and run my SATA drives in AHCI mode. After installing the intel drivers then changing my seletion in the bios to AHCI, when I check my hard drives in Device manager my OS drive the 74G Raptor shows up at RAID_VOLUME_1 and then my 2nd hard drive shows as regular (like before) WD500AAKS SATAII drive.

I didnt enable the raid selection in the bios, just the AHCI. Anyone run across this before, should I worry and try to fix this or is it normal?

I tried googling it and all I cold find where installation issues with AHCI, and RAID config problems, but nothing to do with this problem.
31 answers Last reply
More about ahci question
  1. I wouldn't worry to the extent of reinstalling the OS or anything, but I would be curious as to what's causing it.

I wonder if the raid controller added a header on the drive in preparation of a RAID array? I have no idea to be honest, but if it works it works.
  2. Was there any performance decrease as a result?

If not, then don't worry about it. It's probably just a messed up naming system.
  3. No decrease at all. I'm hoping for a bit of an increase=)
    It probably is the naming scheme, sorta dumb though since I'm not using the RAID setting.
  4. Damn Jedi those ram timings are nice !
  5. hello thecompukid:
    I have 3 pc's with Intel DG965WH motherboards and when I choose the drive setup for the controller in the bios before O.S. install there is a comment in the bios saying "AHCI" is only available with Vista operating system. I am using Vista on 2 of the pcs and used the AHCI mode on one and Raid 0 on the other. I didn't see that you mentioned the O.S. you are using but if not Vista you may not be able to use AHCI?
  6. I am using XP, and yes it works with XP, its just that AHCI drivers are built into Vista where as in XP you would have to slipstream them into your disc or use the F6 option during XP install.
  7. Since your Mobo has 2 SATA controllers built in (ICH9R and Marvell 88SE6111), are both disks connected to the ICH9R controller??
    It's possible that your WD500AAKS is connected through the Marvell controller, and therefore didn't get changed to AHCI mode.

The ICH9R supports AHCI through RAID mode (or something convoluted like that, maybe both modes use the same driver) so even if you don't have a RAID set up, your drive may show up as RAID volumes.

I've also read many posts about the inablilty to switch between AHCI and IDE mode after the OS has been installed. Often the only remedy is to re-install the OS and then use the "Press F6 to install disk controller" option to install the RAID/AHCI driver.

If you've been able to switch to ACHI with an installed OS, and everything is working well, I'd say you've done everything right. 8-)
  8. The_Gremlin said:
    Since your Mobo has 2 SATA controllers built in (ICH9R and Marvell 88SE6111), are both disks connected to the ICH9R controller??
    It's possible that your WD500AAKS is connected through the Marvell controller, and therefore didn't get changed to AHCI mode.

The ICH9R supports AHCI through RAID mode (or something convoluted like that, maybe both modes use the same driver) so even if you don't have a RAID set up, your drive may show up as RAID volumes.

I've also read many posts about the inablilty to switch between AHCI and IDE mode after the OS has been installed. Often the only remedy is to re-install the OS and then use the "Press F6 to install disk controller" option to install the RAID/AHCI driver.

If you've been able to switch to ACHI with an installed OS, and everything is working well, I'd say you've done everything right. 8-)

Hell Gremlin I think you hit the nail on the head there. I will check when I get home, but if I recall right I remember the ports that my cables are plugged into on the board and I just looked at the MSI website and I think they are on different controllers.

I will update this in a couple hours after I check my Home PC.
  9. Update...

They are plugged in correctly and I uninstalled the raptor and reinstalled and still shows RAID_VOLUME_ONE

Oh well.. it works and seems a little better than IDE mode so I dont really care what it is labeled as in device manager
  10. Anonymous said:
    Update...

They are plugged in correctly ...
    By "correctly" do you mean they are both attached to the ICH9R controller?? I failed to mention in my previous post, but documentation indicated the Marvell SATA controller does not support AHCI ... only the ICH9R does.

Anonymous said:
    ... and I uninstalled the raptor and reinstalled and still shows RAID_VOLUME_ONE ...
    Yes, I mentioned this would probably be normal.

When you installed the AHCI/RAID driver did it also install Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) utility? If it did, you should use it to check on the status of your HDD's (AHCI or not), and it will also confirm that your WD500AAKS is connected to the Intel controller. I suspect MSM would be helpfull in determining why the two disks are labelled differently in the device manager.
  11. I used the Matrix storage manager and it did absolutely nothing. All the options are grayed out, which I think is because it only allows you to change things if you are actually running RAID. Yes both SATA are on the ICH9R controller. Only one of the SATA ports use the Marvell and that is the external sata port that you can use on top of the case.

And since the MSM gave me no options I just uninstalled it so as not to take up any mem or processes.

I even tried reversing the ports for my 2 hard drive and they still show and run the same.

Oh well.... it might have to do with changing from IDE to AHCI mode without doing a fresh install.
  12. Go into disk management and you will find that the drive is Dynamic instead of Basic. You may have problems with that down the road. I suggest you look into it, and decide whether you want to keep it dynamic. Here is a link that may help you in the future. HOWTO: Convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk without data loss
  13. Hmmm I will check when I get home, but I have never made a Dynamic Drive on my home PC.
  14. Let me know what you find out, I'm sure it's dynamic.
  15. I swear if changing it from IDE to AHCI and installing the Matrix software changed it to Dynamic I will flip. No where does it say that this change takes place.

Will let ya know in about 2 hours.
  16. If windows changed one of your drives to a dynamic drive, that's just another case of "strange things happen when you switch from IDE to AHCI post-install". Wow!

If (by some off chance) Zorg happens to be wrong :o , could you post a screenshot of your device manager, with the "Disk drives", "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and "SCSI and RAID controllers" trees expanded? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Also, according to your mobo manual: (MSI P35-Platinum)
    SATA
    - 4 SATAII ports (ports 3~6) with 2 eSATA by ICH9R
    - 1 SATA II port (port 7) by Marvell 88SE6111
    So, just a small correction that the Marvell SATA port is the odd coloured blue internal connector, slightly set apart from the bock of 4 other SATA connectors. The external SATA ports on your back panel are on the ICH9R.
  17. My eSATA on the back of the case are empty ports. My Marvell SATA port 7 is connected to the top eSATA port of the case.

The 4 SATA2 ports on the board which are 3~6 are for internal drives and I am connected to ports 5 for Raptor and 6 for WD500

I will post a screen soon as I get home.
  18. The_Gremlin said:
    If windows changed one of your drives to a dynamic drive, that's just another case of "strange things happen when you switch from IDE to AHCI post-install". Wow!

If (by some off chance) Zorg happens to be wrong :o , could you post a screenshot of your device manager, with the "Disk drives", "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and "SCSI and RAID controllers" trees expanded? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

SATA
    So, just a small correction that the Marvell SATA port is the odd coloured blue internal connector, slightly set apart from the bock of 4 other SATA connectors. The external SATA ports on your back panel are on the ICH9R.

The 4 internal 3~6 AND the 2 eSATA at the rear are on the ICH9R ? or are you trying to say JUST the rear ports are on the ICH9R ?

Nevermind, I found where it says that the 6 are on the ICH9R and the and one is on the marvel with the IDE connector.
  19. Gremlin:

There is a way to change the Drive from IDE to AHCI after the OS install you just have to change a value in the registry before changing it in the BIOS. It's nothing major you change a value of 1 to a value of 0, restart change the IDE to AHCI in the BIOS and windows will boot correctly. Microsoft has the steps posted on their website...

Here are the steps on how to do that should anyone be interested:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

This applies to Vista haven't tried it on XP..
  20. Anonymous said:
    The 4 internal 3~6 AND the 2 eSATA at the rear are on the ICH9R ? or are you trying to say JUST the rear ports are on the ICH9R ?
    All 6 ports are on the ICH9R. [edit]I see you found that already[/edit]

Just a thought, but you might want to consider changing your case top e-SATA connector off the Marvell controller and onto the ICH9R (port 3 or 4). One reason being, AHCI mode (or RAID mode) support hot-plug-and-play. The Marvell SATA controller most likely does not (BIOS settings consist of ON/OFF only :( ) so you would need to shut-down and restart any time you wanted to add an e-SATA drive to that port. You could still hot-plug to the e-SATA ports on the back of you case, but then what's the use of having an e-SATA on the top of your case??

I have an external HDD enclosure with e-SATA connected to my mobo via the ICH9R. It's my backup and is normally turned off, but when I need it, I just hit the enclosure power button, windows freezes for a couple seconds while the drive spins up and windows recognizes the drive and then it's recognized, installed and ready to go. Very convenient!!
  21. will31 said:
    ...SNIP ...This applies to Vista haven't tried it on XP..
    Ya, Vista is much easier since it has AHCI drivers pre-installed.
    You would think XP would be as simple as installing drivers, re-booting to BIOS, making the BIOS change and then re-booting back into windows. I've read far too many posts with people having issues with making the switch post-OS install (with WinXP). I tried it myself, without success, so opted for a re-install. It wasn't a big deal for ME to re-install, cause it was a new system that didn't have any software installed.
  22. The_Gremlin said:
    If windows changed one of your drives to a dynamic drive, that's just another case of "strange things happen when you switch from IDE to AHCI post-install". Wow!

SATA

and
  23. Wierd! :pt1cable: Somehow along the way, the BIOS/ICH9R is reporting to windows that your raptor is RAID_Volume_1 instead of a WD Raptor.

I'm surprised the Marvell controller doesn't even show up on the device manager. I'm assuming it's BIOS setting is OFF. It doesn't look like you have any need for it, since your DVD is USB and you have no floppy.

At this point, I'd say if everything is functioning well and you're happy with it, just let sleeping dogs lie.

However, if you really want to troubleshoot this naming boondoggle, here's something you could try: install the RAID driver and switch the BIOS to RAID mode. Follow the same procedure you did for the AHCI driver. RAID mode includes all the functionality of AHCI, with the added ability of creating RAID arrays, so you won't be losing any features/performance. If it doesn't do it automatically, re-install Intel MSM. It shouldn't be all greyed out this time. You should be able to view the drive information of each drive, and it may fix the naming problem in device manager. On the other hand, it may just BSOD and decide not to load!! Proceed at your own risk!
  24. I thought for sure that XP had converted to a dynamic disk. What it looks like is that you have a single drive RAID (kind of a misnomer aye). You got me, I would keep my programs backed up though. By the way unless you want hot swap, NCQ, or RAID there really isn't any reason to go with AHCI over IDE at this point.
  25. LoL its a mystery
  26. The_Gremlin said:
    Wierd! :pt1cable: Somehow along the way, the BIOS/ICH9R is reporting to windows that your raptor is RAID_Volume_1 instead of a WD Raptor.

I'm surprised the Marvell controller doesn't even show up on the device manager. I'm assuming it's BIOS setting is OFF. It doesn't look like you have any need for it, since your DVD is USB and you have no floppy.

At this point, I'd say if everything is functioning well and you're happy with it, just let sleeping dogs lie.

However, if you really want to troubleshoot this naming boondoggle, here's something you could try: install the RAID driver and switch the BIOS to RAID mode. Follow the same procedure you did for the AHCI driver. RAID mode includes all the functionality of AHCI, with the added ability of creating RAID arrays, so you won't be losing any features/performance. If it doesn't do it automatically, re-install Intel MSM. It shouldn't be all greyed out this time. You should be able to view the drive information of each drive, and it may fix the naming problem in device manager. On the other hand, it may just BSOD and decide not to load!! Proceed at your own risk!

Aye the Marvel controller is disabled in bios.
  27. Anonymous said:
    Damn Jedi those ram timings are nice !

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

Best RAM I've ever used. I overclocked them a little while back to ~980MHz with 5-4-3-5 timings! I can't remember why, but I didn't bench them at that speed. I think the CPU was a bit unstable. *shrugs*
  28. UPDATE... I found out why that Raptor was being given that RAID volume... it was part of a mirror raid in a previous computer I took it from. DUHHHH me.
  29. The_Gremlin said:
    All 6 ports are on the ICH9R. [edit]I see you found that already[/edit]
    I have an external HDD enclosure with e-SATA connected to my mobo via the ICH9R. It's my backup and is normally turned off, but when I need it, I just hit the enclosure power button, windows freezes for a couple seconds while the drive spins up and windows recognizes the drive and then it's recognized, installed and ready to go. Very convenient!!

Gremlin, are you using XP or Vista? I'm trying to run an eSATA HDD off an ICH9R but can't get hot-plugging to work. From what I've been able to find it only works in Vista for the ICH9 series. Just came from an nVidia 650i chipset where hot-plugging works just fine... kind of depressing that the latest-n-greatest Intel SB doesn't (in XP that is).
  30. Anonymous said:
    UPDATE... I found out why that Raptor was being given that RAID volume... it was part of a mirror raid in a previous computer I took it from. DUHHHH me.
    So it was a basic disk but it kept the name? That's one reason that I zero write my disks, it cleans all the little stuff out of them.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage Product