Sign in with
Your question

AMD News

Last response: in CPUs
September 7, 2007 3:47:58 PM

Intel introduces new quad-core processors

Posted by roboblogger 7 hrs ago | via Canada.com

Intel Corp on Thursday introduced high-end processors for computer servers to compete with an upcoming new product from Advanced Micro Devices Inc . via Canada.com

Comment?
AMD to Boost Performance for Everyday Compute-Intense Multimedia,...

Posted by roboblogger Yesterday | via AMDZone

“We are working closely with AMD to enable developers to quickly and easily leverage the SSE5 instruction set to enhance high performance computing, and the multi-core and multi-media capability of their software applications.”

Posted by: Chris_Tom on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:37 AM AMD to Boost Performance for Everyday Compute-Intense Multimedia, Security and High Performance Computing Applications through New Extensions to x86 ... via AMDZone

hahaha

More about : amd news

September 7, 2007 3:49:29 PM

On Monday, AMD released a proposal for "Lightweight Profiling" instructions (or LWP; download here), describing a new way for software developers to gather information on software while it runs.

I've only had a few minutes to check out the document, but it looks pretty interesting. Existing performance analysis tools, like Intel's VTune and AMD's CodeAnalyst, generally create significant overhead when gathering performance information. They usually need code that runs in supervisor mode, for example, and they're just for developer use--they aren't meant to be used in production systems.

LWP lets applications gather their own performance data in real time with new user-mode instructions. This should make it possible for applications to adapt their execution behavior to maximize performance from moment to moment even while other software is running.

I'll have to wait to see what software developers say about this proposal, but I suspect it'll be well received by the developer community. We'll also have to see if Intel accepts the proposal as-is, rejects it outright, or suggests some kind of alternative.

AMD scored big points by defining a practical 64-bit x86 instruction set before Intel could, which shut down Intel's parallel effort before it was ever announced. (Rumors persist that the "Prescott" version of Intel's Pentium 4 was initially designed with Intel-proprietary 64-bit extensions that gave way to an AMD64-compatible implementation later.)

LWP is a small thing by comparison, but AMD could regain a bit of that AMD64 luster if this proposal is accepted.
September 7, 2007 6:58:11 PM

Sorry but you sound to me like just another rabid fanboy. Your perception of reality is truely warped. :sarcastic: 
September 7, 2007 7:05:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry but you sound to me like just another rabid fanboy. Your perception of reality is truely warped.

Sorry, but you sound a bit worried that your Intel system will be a tad out-dated soon.
speaking of reality, the truth hurts......doesn't it

Folding@Home
!