Sign in with
Your question

Couple of Simple Questions

Last response: in Components
September 7, 2007 6:46:27 PM

I have a few simple questions. I am getting a P5K Premium and a E6600 Core Duo and I am confused as to what speed memory I will have to get. I was looking into 2GBs of OCZ DDR2 1066, but I am unsure if I really need this fast of memory for the Processor to be able to overclock easily, some oppionions on that would be helpful for the first question. I also want to know if the power supply I just bought is good enough for what I intend to purchase for my PC's upgrade, mentioned above. I think it is plenty of power but, want to make sure any way. Right now I have the following setup.
Asus P5LD2 deluxe
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Pentium D 2.66 @3.7 1.4 Volts
4 1GB sticks of Kingston 667 DDR2 3,3,3,8,3
E-Power 550W= The new Power Supply mentioned above,
Asus EAX1900XTX 512MB
2 Western Digital 7200RPM 16MB Cache Sata 160GB drives in Raid 0
Sound Card / 2 DVD Burners
Big Case/ 3 Case Fans, 2 on power supply, One for Video card, One for Processor.
Thanks for the help ahead of time every body.
September 7, 2007 7:52:51 PM

Well first, Why the e6600? the e6750 is cheaper and faster.

Second, I would just go with some PC-6400 800mhz ram. That will allow you up to 400mhz fsb on your processor without having to overclock your ram.

I'm not familiar with the quality of E-Power, but 550w is definitely enough wattage. Whether the amperage and quality is there is another question.
September 7, 2007 8:03:47 PM

Yes it is quality PSU. It has 28amps to the rail for the card. I got the card two weeks ago for $190 new from 3btech.com. Lastly the E6600 is a better value speed wise considering overclocking. I can crank it to 3.9 and have a thousand dollar processor.
Related resources
September 7, 2007 8:44:35 PM

TrueHighRoller....

Um... I think your mistaken... as I recall.. the E6600 is hard locked (in the processor) to a max of 3.8... I can get to 3.75 ... but it gets really squirly up there... I can actually run at 3.7 for days on end.. but 3.6 is where this rig likes to run.
September 7, 2007 9:07:59 PM

I had seen reviews of overclocking that the e6750 and it wasn't good. I also seen ones for the e6600 and the results were better then that one. I might have seen it here, I can't remember where it was. I can take my processor now to 4.
September 7, 2007 9:19:15 PM

truehighroller said:
I have a few simple questions. I am getting a P5K Premium and a E6600 Core Duo and I am confused as to what speed memory I will have to get. I was looking into 2GBs of OCZ DDR2 1066, but I am unsure if I really need this fast of memory for the Processor to be able to overclock easily, some oppionions on that would be helpful for the first question. I also want to know if the power supply I just bought is good enough for what I intend to purchase for my PC's upgrade, mentioned above. I think it is plenty of power but, want to make sure any way. Right now I have the following setup.
Asus P5LD2 deluxe
Vista Ultimate 32bit
Pentium D 2.66 @3.7 1.4 Volts
4 1GB sticks of Kingston 667 DDR2 3,3,3,8,3
E-Power 550W= The new Power Supply mentioned above,
Asus EAX1900XTX 512MB
2 Western Digital 7200RPM 16MB Cache Sata 160GB drives in Raid 0
Sound Card / 2 DVD Burners
Big Case/ 3 Case Fans, 2 on power supply, One for Video card, One for Processor.
Thanks for the help ahead of time every body.

Any way this was my original post if anyone has any advise that would be appreciated to get back on the subject.
September 7, 2007 9:27:26 PM

Get DDR2 800, your processor isn't going to be getting that high of FSB clocks...
September 7, 2007 9:30:21 PM

sduneman3 said:
Get DDR2 800, your processor isn't going to be getting that high of FSB clocks...

Thank you that was I was thinking and the next time I do a upgrade I will likely get more memory any way. Now that just leaves the power supply is it going to be good it is sli certified even though I will not be doing that obviously :p  .
September 8, 2007 1:04:46 AM

truehighroller said:
Thank you that was I was thinking and the next time I do a upgrade I will likely get more memory any way. Now that just leaves the power supply is it going to be good it is sli certified even though I will not be doing that obviously :p  .

Again this is my last question quoted here will the power supply be good enough for my new setup? I feel more comfortable with multiple oppionions, thanks everyone.
September 13, 2007 11:04:34 PM

i bought the OCZ gamexstream 850W and its sli compatible...i dont use sli...but i feel safe knowing that if i wanted to...i could....donno if that helps but w/e :) 
September 14, 2007 12:09:24 AM

Truehighroller,

You are not going to get many opinions, if you blow off people who try to help.

Sadly, you have gotten some good opinions from people who now the facts. I would really recommend reading the OC articles on this site and on XBITLABS. Look to see what speed that too various C2D Chips, the cooling required to do so, the voltage required to do so, and the FSB required to get there.

If you do this, you will learn the real answers and may realize you owe some apolgies to some of the respondants to this article.
September 19, 2007 8:49:16 PM

I ended up getting a EPOWER Zumax 550W 20A per rail 38 combined. I also ended up getting a different mother board then what I orginaly wanted. I got a GA-P35-DQ6 mother board which is solid as a rock I might add. Well I ran into an issue with my old PentiumD 805 not working as well. The mother board that I have does not support processors with less FSB then 800. I am kind of happy with that though as I ended up getting a cheapo E4400 as a stepping stone for now until I get faster memory then what I have now then, I will get a quad or the E6750 "grr" lol I hate when I'm wrong :p . That ended up being a good thing though as I have my CPU @ 3.25Ghz right now 1300~ fsb 1.51~v. The memory I have is @ 812Mhz whatever that ratio is but, I ran orthos on her for two hours she was happy here. I actually did have more volts going to it but, I slowly backed it down untill I hit this spot It's at now. Thank every one for your help.
!