Sign in with
Your question

Quad Core Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2007 3:55:25 AM

So my goal is to build a stable gaming rig that would be able to overclock well into the future.

My parts list:
EVGA 680i A1
Intel Q6600 (or better depending on the current prices when i buy)
4 Gb of Corsair XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500 (even comes with its own fan...)
EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX (Second GTX once its needed)
2 x Western Digital 250GB SATA2 7200RPM (Run in Raid 0)
Running Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium or Ultimate (Any argument for either version?)

Water cooling will probably come with the second GPU when its needed most anyways... For now a Thermalright ULTRA-120 Extreme on the CPU and a Thermalright HR-03 Plus on the 8800 GPU, anyone know who the leader in thermal paste is now? Arctic Silver Ceramique is what I am currently thinking of using.

As for a PSU I may use the Corsair 620HX 620W PSU its supposed to be quite efficient.

Thoughts?

Thanks

More about : quad core gaming rig

a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2007 4:21:18 AM

When are you building this rig up? If your not doing so soon, than I would wait for the newer Graphics/CPU's to come out by the end of the year/begining of next year.

My 2cp's
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2007 6:39:06 AM

get VISTA HOME PREMIUM , there are mnay features that ULTIMATE has that many users dont need them , like some security settings, also that Corsair PSU is very good , and also overall thats a killer rig
Related resources
September 4, 2007 1:01:12 PM

If you are buying now, I don't see a need for SLI. The newer cards can handle any game and if you wait for the future cards they will handle them even better. The newer boards should probably add SLI support so you can wait for those if you really want SLI.

I would suggest either building with a cheaper p35 Motherboard and a nice GTS 320MB card or an X1950XT and waiting for the newer cards to come out and but that. The new cards are said to be way better than the 8800.
Get Home Premium like Maz said and also change the 8500 ram to some good DDR2-800. There is no need for 8500 unless you are really OCing, I mean like water cooling type of stuff.
September 4, 2007 4:42:33 PM

dont get vista! its evil and slow. i have it i have vista ultimate a waste of of hard earned cash! plus dont go sli. waste of money when the new cards are coming out very soon.
a b 4 Gaming
September 4, 2007 5:07:34 PM

Buy an eVGA card and use the step-up program later.

Get a more powerful PSU to be sure it can handle either the 8800 GTX SLI or the 9800 GTX. Something like Thermaltake ToughPower 850W for example.

That being said, SLI is usually a bad idea, lots of disadvantages. It also works better on XP than Vista from what I've heard.
September 4, 2007 5:20:35 PM

lunyone said:
When are you building this rig up? If your not doing so soon, than I would wait for the newer Graphics/CPU's to come out by the end of the year/begining of next year.

My 2cp's

Or he could just buy mine when the 9800's or whatever they will be called come out..., he can have two 8800GTX's for the price of one. I think thats fair.
September 4, 2007 5:32:12 PM

aevm said:
That being said, SLI is usually a bad idea, lots of disadvantages. It also works better on XP than Vista from what I've heard.

I don't know for sure but folks that usually say SLI is a bad idea or has lots of disadvantages usually, don't , have SLI and have never had it?

The only real issue and not really a disadvantage is the cost. Its more expensive.

SLI works as advertisted on just about every game you want to throw at it. The increase in performance depends on the game or app and how its written but its usually a nice noticeable boost. Drivers were an issue at the beginning of SLI especially in Vista but the majority of these have been fixed.

You are right, games run better in XP than in Vista, but this has nothing to do with SLI. It doesn't matter if you have one card or two, XP kicks Vista's butt in games.
September 4, 2007 6:11:24 PM

a recommendation if you are going to go with vista, is to disable as many unnecessary visuals and services as you can (there are over 100 unnecessary options enabled in vista, that needlessly slow it down, especially if youre not making use of them specifically), googling online, you can find out what you can do to optimize vistas overhead.
September 4, 2007 11:43:09 PM

sharp910sh said:
dont go sli. waste of money when the new cards are coming out very soon.

Alright, does anyone know when the next gen of video cards are going to come out? Or is it just speculation that they are the next be all end all... I've also heard that they will just be a mid-level replacement for the gt/gts lines... the gtx isn't broke so i dont think nVidia is going to fudge with a good thing.

My overall plan is that this computer will last for a good while and be fast... Extreme overclocking will come at some point, i'm just not going to push my luck until i've got a good watercooling setup in place. But aside from the water loop i dont want to have to replace any components to save a few bucks now. This isn't a bleeding edge build just a mid-high end gaming computer that I hope will cope with whatever I throw at it for a year or two...

It will also be a dual boot XP Pro and Vista Home Premium... Did microsoft make a new tweakUI for vista?

Corsair also claims that their 620HX is good for a extreme overclocked quad-core and SLI'd 8800GTX's
!