Sign in with
Your question

Should you wait for your amd quad core! Missing a few GHz!

Last response: in CPUs
September 7, 2007 11:47:18 PM

AMD is going to release their blazingly fast 2ghz chips - yes 2 that's ghz! While Intel is selling 3ghz quad cores running 3.5-3.6ghz amd is going to start off with 2ghz??? What happend to the 2.6ghz quads?

Why would amd only sell 2ghz chips? Easy AMD has only few tricks left while intel is in full "tick tock mode" and this is their last hope/stand ? I think amd is saving the big guns for 08 when intel releases their "real" quad core.

Maybe AMD wants to sell really overclockable chips? Unlikely us oc'ers are few and far.

If you buy an AMD quad core, will you likely see a much faster chip in 08????? Those early iphone buyers are kic king themselves after jobs slashed the prices! Playstation can not sell so they are cutting!~

Will the 2ghz "real" quad core will likely be $500 by 08?

Why get a 2ghz $1000 chip when a q6600 is only $300? Of coarse if the 2ghz chip is blazingly fast and overclockable i be getting mine asap!

I be waiting it out for the tests first then maybe waiting till 08 - after all used qx6700 are only $500.

ok what do you guys think? Does 2ghz not seem slow? Six months ago barcie was a 2.6-2.8ghz chip - what happened to the .6ghz?

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
IFB (I am such a trouble maker!)

note: these are sever parts not mainstream and prices are low according to some media people - so a $1000 is really a low price!

AMD Opteron 8300 Series
September 8, 2007 12:09:01 AM

Whoa, you talk fast like my 11 year old niece. I don't quite understand what you are trying to say!
September 8, 2007 12:39:39 AM

According to some review (I forgot which one), I believe it said there was problems with the architecture of the quad core. I think it was leaking or something, therefore it can't be clocked very high and/or the higher clock speeds leak more. This is what my memory tells me so don't start yelling at me.

Anyhow as everyone knows when anything debuts, it's pretty expensive in the beginning. I can't find any other reason.

And no it's not meant for overclockers cause we overclockers make up about 2% of the population (I think).

Only couple more days and we'll know the truth.
Related resources
September 8, 2007 12:41:14 AM

You would not want a highly clocked chip in a server, would be way to hot and cause many problems. on whether it performs well or really bad, that has yet to be answered. But server parts will be slower. If they had a really low performing chip I'm sure they would have a similar low price, that would be the only way to compete. But its always hard to read the market and is usually best to wait and see.
September 8, 2007 12:52:02 AM

ya i talk really fast and ramble just like i write!
llollol
September 8, 2007 12:52:59 AM

Evilonigiri said:
According to some review (I forgot which one), I believe it said there was problems with the architecture of the quad core. I think it was leaking or something, therefore it can't be clocked very high and/or the higher clock speeds leak more. This is what my memory tells me so don't start yelling at me.

Anyhow as everyone knows when anything debuts, it's pretty expensive in the beginning. I can't find any other reason.

And no it's not meant for overclockers cause we overclockers make up about 2% of the population (I think).

Only couple more days and we'll know the truth.

well that makes sence!
!