Motorola DVR + Scheduled Recordings Problems

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 6, 2005 1:17:42 AM

Hope somebody maybe able to help or has some troubleshooting ideas!

I am experiencing playback problems with my Motorola DCT 6412 digital
cable and high-definition receiver with a built-in DVR through Comcast.
I have a Sony 34' widescreen HDTV.

What happens is that when I playback recordings that the tone vanishes
and the picture shifts every 5-10 seconds. Very annoying and the
program is essentially unwatchable. It started about a week ago and
there were even some minor problems when I was watching the live feed
starting over the past weekend. It was less pronounced and only once in
a long while.

I just had a Comcast Tech out tonight and he checked the connections
(box/TV), the main connection in the basement, and the signal - no
problems! Finally he exchanged the box. He hit record on a live show
and it worked! When I playbacked two scheduled series recordings later
that night the same problem as before occured! As much as I
experimented so far there seems to be no problem with the playback when
I just hit the record button on a program I'm currently watching BUT
any future single event scheduled recordings and series recordings come
up with the same problem.

Any advice??? I have another Comcast Tech coming out on Friday. The
one from tonight seemed pretty puzzled so I'm not sure what to expect
from the next one!
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:25:29 AM

Let us know what happens. I have the same box through Comcast (Los Angeles)
and had similar problems for a few days until I simply unplugged the box for
about 30 seconds and plugged it back in, and no issues since.

Steve

"aquiel69" <aquiel69@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hope somebody maybe able to help or has some troubleshooting ideas!
>
> I am experiencing playback problems with my Motorola DCT 6412 digital
> cable and high-definition receiver with a built-in DVR through Comcast.
> I have a Sony 34' widescreen HDTV.
>
> What happens is that when I playback recordings that the tone vanishes
> and the picture shifts every 5-10 seconds. Very annoying and the
> program is essentially unwatchable. It started about a week ago and
> there were even some minor problems when I was watching the live feed
> starting over the past weekend. It was less pronounced and only once in
> a long while.
>
> I just had a Comcast Tech out tonight and he checked the connections
> (box/TV), the main connection in the basement, and the signal - no
> problems! Finally he exchanged the box. He hit record on a live show
> and it worked! When I playbacked two scheduled series recordings later
> that night the same problem as before occured! As much as I
> experimented so far there seems to be no problem with the playback when
> I just hit the record button on a program I'm currently watching BUT
> any future single event scheduled recordings and series recordings come
> up with the same problem.
>
> Any advice??? I have another Comcast Tech coming out on Friday. The
> one from tonight seemed pretty puzzled so I'm not sure what to expect
> from the next one!

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:38:43 AM

Sorry for the late reply. After many hours on the phone with ComCast
and Motorola and spending time with the ComCast Techs in person finally
some answers so the issue is still not resolved:

Apparently the issue has to do with missing Firmware/Software update!
It has nothing to do with the hardware (box) perse. The updates need to
be done by the engineering department and are then loaded through the
feed. My issues with pixelation, freezing and lack of tone soley
effects the HD channels, life feed as well as playback of recorded HD
channel shows. After talking to two more ComCast Techs and a Manager at
the ComCast Service Center it is clear that ComCast is aware of the
issue, it effects many customers and it might not be resolved until
JULY!

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Manager regarding crediting of
my account charges and was also promised a call by someone from the
Engineering Department. I will be away for a week but will pick it all
up again when I come back. I already told the manager that my next step
is to contact ComCast head quarters. They will have a lot more
complaints ahead of them if it is truly such a widespread and lengthy
issue.

Right now I can't enjoy watching my HD channels and can forget about
watching any HD channel recordings. I'm going to ask that they drop the
charges for DVR box and HD service fee until the issue will be resolved.
April 14, 2005 9:27:34 AM

That sounds precisely like the issues I had w. my Cox Motorola DVR when I
first got it. But in my case they have been updating the firmware and it
works like a charm.
Is there any reason why they wont replace the box with a working unit?

!