Sign in with
Your question

GPU drivers question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 22, 2007 5:46:34 PM

This might be a stupid question to some but I'm still weighing several options before I upgrade and wanted to know if both the ATI and Nvidia drivers are operating system dependent or are different per series of cards. For example I have a 6800GS, when I download new drivers from Nvidia's website the newest driver is the 162.18 driver. Is that particular driver different if say I downloaded the driver that was under the 7 series option? Same for ATI, and are the two companies cards DX10 drivers different from the rest or dependent on what type of OS one is using? Hope I am clear with what I am asking.

More about : gpu drivers question

a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
September 22, 2007 5:51:56 PM

sdf said:
This might be a stupid question to some but I'm still weighing several options before I upgrade and wanted to know if both the ATI and Nvidia drivers are operating system dependent or are different per series of cards. For example I have a 6800GS, when I download new drivers from Nvidia's website the newest driver is the 162.18 driver. Is that particular driver different if say I downloaded the driver that was under the 7 series option? Same for ATI, and are the two companies cards DX10 drivers different from the rest or dependent on what type of OS one is using? Hope I am clear with what I am asking.

Both Nvidia and ATI release drivers to support specific video cards. It could not be easier to go on their websites and insert your particular video card and OS and download the driver for that card. Some of the driver version releases cover more products than others. HTH.
!