core 2 duo E6850 verse penryn wolfdale

thedaily10

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
:kaola:

I am currently using a Pentium d 935 3.2ghz, but would like to upgrade my processor in the next few months. I was wondering if I should just go for the E6850 or wait for Penryn. Will there really be much difference in these processors. I am not into overclocking.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
There will be a small gain peformance gain and a small drop in power usage. Nothing earth shattering. The chips Intel is going to release at the end of 2008 are going to be the ones that really move forward.

The Penryn is primarily a die shrink.
The Cache is a little faster which is what will make these chips a little faster.
Some of the chips may also ship over 3.0Ghz to give more power there.

If I was to wait for anything, it would be the P38 boards shipping sometime this month.

Then go ahead and your your new CPU.

thedaily10

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
They have the Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-E DDR2 at Tekheads for £187.99, which is far to expensive. Plus I have the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Intel P35 motherboard, which is more than half the price. thanks Zenmaster I will probably save for the E6850, seeing as there is not will not be much difference between Penryn and the Core 2 duo.

Penryn will be using SSE4. Benchmarks have shown that video codecs, like DivX 6.6a, that supports SSE4 has more than double the performance on a Penryn compared to an equivalent speed Conroe. Thus, the time it takes to encode video should be roughly cut in half.

As for applications in general, you will only see about an average of 5% increase in performance, including games.

You could speculate that a game programmed with SSE4 extensions will have better performance on a Penryn as opposed to a Conroe of similar clockspeed. But it won't be much especially considering that games are generally GPU limited.

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006

You have a killer board as is. Keep it and get a Penryn. They will be a little faster, run cooler because they use less energy and will cost the same or less when they come out. I got a killer deal on a Q6600, or I'd have waited too.