Sign in with
Your question

Calvary Hard Drives - Are They Any Good???

Last response: in Systems
September 4, 2007 4:27:35 PM

I'm in the process of choosing a hard drive for my new build and saw a good deal via Buy.com for a Cavalry Pre-formatted 1TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - CADB001U32 for $219.99 after $20 MIR.
CAn anyone comment on the reliability of the Calvary drives and specifically this model.
Thx
September 4, 2007 7:07:04 PM

Due to the long awkward :whistle:  silence.....

No, at least,I've never heard of it...
September 4, 2007 8:05:58 PM

Sorry, never heard of it either. I wouldn't risk it. But then that's just me, I just got burnt by an I/O Magic external drive that died after a couple of hours of use. From now on I stick with WD or Seagate or LaCie.
Related resources
September 4, 2007 8:29:52 PM

Never Heard of them. I've also seen the EXCELSTOR brand. I guess new companies are getting into the HDD market.
September 4, 2007 8:57:59 PM

Sounds like its a "no-go" for the Calvary model. Then it comes down to Lacie, WD adn Seagate. Which mfg would you guys recommend in the 500GB or 750GB sizes?
Thanks!
September 4, 2007 9:31:50 PM

Well, if they're all good, i.e. the drive won't stop working, and speed is limited by USB anyway, you might as well go with the best price or longest warranty. Shop around.
September 4, 2007 10:13:05 PM

I've got a 500GB external Calvary drive and like it. It came with a WD drive inside. At $219 for a 1TB I'd say go for it ... it sounds like a solid deal.

External drives usually come with a shorter warranty than internal though so a lot of people get the external case and buy the internal drive separately to get a longer warranty.

I don't leave my drive running all the time so it's not that much of an issue to me.
September 4, 2007 10:25:36 PM

Asgard2 said:
I've got a 500GB external Calvary drive and like it. It came with a WD drive inside. At $219 for a 1TB I'd say go for it ... it sounds like a solid deal.

External drives usually come with a shorter warranty than internal though so a lot of people get the external case and buy the internal drive separately to get a longer warranty.

I don't leave my drive running all the time so it's not that much of an issue to me.

I was going to say that just because the enclosure said Cavalry doesn't mean the drive inside is made by them. But obviously Asguard2 put that to bed.

Asguard2, is the drive in the Cavalry a Cavalier? :lol: 
September 4, 2007 10:30:37 PM

Calvary?? Never heard of it.

WD Caviar? Those are ok, I still prefer Maxtor for no good reason.
September 4, 2007 10:39:58 PM

Zorg said:
I was going to say that just because the enclosure said Cavalry doesn't mean the drive inside is made by them. But obviously Asguard2 put that to bed.

Asguard2, is the drive in the Cavalry a Cavalier? :lol: 

I think you mean Caviar and no it's just a standard SATA WD.
September 4, 2007 11:02:10 PM

EGADs...you prefer maxtor?..lol.

Sorry...I just despise maxtor. IMO worst brand....Atleast worst of the big boys. For WD I've had half of my drives die...For Seagate none of my drives have died yet. For Maxtor ALL my drives have died. For WD I've had around 4 drives, seagate 4 drives, and Maxtor 5 drives.

::thumbs down:: down with maxtor.

But seagate did buy them...probably just for the name. I bet they'll be releasing seagate drives with the maxtor name...But there are still lots of cruddy maxtor drives out in circulation.
September 4, 2007 11:05:11 PM

Yeah, I was spacing, just a joke anyway.
June 14, 2008 11:41:07 PM

Great Drives ! I have 3 of them and SATA or USB interfaces work great. They use Western Digital drives.
June 15, 2008 12:38:26 AM

I'm not sure why you're reviving this thread after 9 months. Anyway, Cavalry and Caviar are different things. WD Caviar are excellent drives. "Cavalry" is a less known brand and I suspect it's intentionally named like that hoping for confusion. I have no idea if they're good or not but I wouldn't try them myself. There's a "factory outlet" store close to my place that sells them, for about 1/3 of the price of a Caviar drive of the same size.
June 15, 2008 12:54:21 AM

Not sure why this thread was revived either, but eh.

One of the older Calvary's used Maxtor drives. A Hard drive production operation is very expensive to start up. 99% that Calvary does not make the drive, but buys them sticks them in a case (hence why they only sale external drives) and paint their name on it.

December 3, 2009 6:01:08 PM

I have the CXAE drive from them. It works ok but there are issues ....

The drive worked fine with the eSata cable with Windows XP Pro sp3 without issues but under Windows 7 Professional, it is not detected, but bios seems to see it.

This doesn't quite make sense to me as I am surprised the computer can tell an eSata connection from a Sata2 connection, but it might be a motherboard / Windows 7 combination issue.

The drive case gets pretty hot, I mean REALLY hot and that could mean that its doing a good job of dissapating heat, or more likely IMHO it means its getting too hot.

At any rate, its good for a secondary backup, but if you absolutely need it or its your only source of backup I would be leary of it. I leave it off except when I'm backing up stuff or restoring.

it works fine under usb2 but I am told usb2 is like 60 megabytes/sec and eSata is about 150 Megabytes/sec
December 31, 2009 12:08:28 AM

MINES GREAT. WARM YES, BUT IVE RAN 24/7 AND NO PROBLEM. LOVE-IT. I HAVEALSO 2 RAPTOR 10,000 RPM & 1- 7200 RPM. I RUN A RAID 0 CONFIG
December 31, 2009 12:11:24 AM

oh yes,,, CAVALRY 1-TB $80.00. thats right up my alley
January 22, 2011 8:51:25 AM

I use a Calgary 500 GB external for Audio recording. The chipset was designated by Avid (Digidesign) as the ones they tested and would recommend. 2 years with no problems. Going to order 1TB today, Jan 22, 2011 because the last one has been so reliable.
January 22, 2011 6:27:59 PM

My external 1T Cavalry has a Hitachi hard drive. I'm actually runing win7 ult on it. I partichioned 500/500. and other 1/2 of the drive I save backup & all my files. Love it. Runs mostly 24/7. I forget to turn off. Runs 24 hrs a day. $80.00
January 22, 2011 6:39:21 PM

Sorry, but wanted to say it has not turned off now for over 6, 8 mths now and running cool. I can't hear it. Is that saying it"s good? lol
February 26, 2011 10:51:23 AM

I have one and I'm proud to say it works very very good!!!! LOL
February 26, 2011 6:06:43 PM

Might be O/T but TS: if u spending good money on an external hdd go for USB 3.0 ones - the interface difference vs USB 2.0 is most telling especially in these sort of drives ^^
http://hothardware.com/News/USB-30-and-SATA-6G-Performa...
Quote:
You'll see that when connected to a USB 3.0 port, the drive was about 5 - 6x faster. Although these are just quick, preliminary tests, it appears that USB 3.0 will be an absolute must for users in need of fast, cheap external storage as it becomes more prevalent.
February 28, 2012 2:25:26 AM

No they are no good. I bought that thing and the switch feels like it about to disintegrate and has is only been plugged in one day, It is brand new.
Perhaps i could just leave it on forever and hope for the best but I really would just rather pay a few bucks more for something a little more solid.
February 28, 2012 8:08:43 AM

Wow! A necrothread... more than 4 years & still going strong!
!