I'm on the process of setting up my new PC. The specs are:

Gigabyte P35 S3L
Intel E2160
2GB PQI DDR2 800 RAM
Sapphire X1950 PRO
80GB Seagate IDE
Sony NEC DVD-RW IDE
ThermalTake TR2 500W PSU

Now I placed all the components in as the manuals said and everything seems to be in place. But when I came to turn the PC on nothing happened. I checked the PSU connections and that the PSU is on, I checked all the back panel connections and I checked and even replaced the front panel connections and still nothing happenes...What could be wrong? The only thing I remember doing which left me with doubt was not screwing one of 6 screws to mount the MoBo because I was missing one.

Does anyone have a clue what's wrong? Or talk me through finding a sulotion?

Thanks!

Is the P4 connector plugged in to the mobo? Do you see any fan or LED activity at all, even briefly, when you push the power button? If the PSU is switched "on" with the rear switch, does the PC come on for a couple of seconds, then cut off?

SuperPC

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Ok, I 'm pretty damn sure it has something to do with the screws mounting the MB. I played around with them and added another and this time the PC started for a few moments before going out. One of the screwes seems to be stuck to the socket which came out thus not attaching the MB strongly...could this be the reason?

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
It sounds like something is grounding out the motherboard. Usually this is a screw or an extra standoff that wasn't removed. (Maybe that screw you couldn't find?) Make sure that there aren't any extra standoffs still screwed into the case, and check for extra screws.

Best of Luck

bliq

Distinguished
Try reseating your RAM. I've made this mistake more times than I care to admit.

Also, make sure the CMOS clear jumper is not in the clear position.

Ummm, make sure the power supply master switch is in the "1" position.

Make sure the power plug is in a socket that is hot, if it's a switched socket, make sure the switch is on.

Are there any indicator LEDs on the motherboard that give any indication that it's getting power?

take all peripherals off the motherboard except power supply, motherboard, CPU/HSF, RAM, and video card if you don't have on-board video. Check for powerup. Do any fans spin? even the PSU fan?

Check the easy stuff first before doing the hard stuff.