Sign in with
Your question

how do I know if my HD is operating at sata 3.0?

Tags:
  • SATA
  • Boot
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2008 11:38:59 PM

I tried turning on achi or whatever it is and my computer wouldnt boot (cannot find natldsr or some such file)

took much fooling around to get it to boot again. I actually had to plug my sata connector into a differnet port to get it to work.

I am running vista ultimate 64bit, hardware specs below.

Thanks for the help....

More about : operating sata

a b G Storage
January 31, 2008 12:11:35 AM

xringx said:
I tried turning on achi or whatever it is and my computer wouldnt boot (cannot find natldsr or some such file)

took much fooling around to get it to boot again. I actually had to plug my sata connector into a differnet port to get it to work.

I am running vista ultimate 64bit, hardware specs below.

Thanks for the help....

Did you try simply turning off ahci and putting the SATA controller back on IDE mode? That should have brought back up the OS. Without the proper drivers loaded you cannot run ahci.

The reason it worked by switching sata connectors is likely because RAID and AHCI modes are not supported on all the connectors.
January 31, 2008 12:21:51 AM

To get the computer to boot you mean?? yes, of course. It only worked when I switched to another port on the MB..

Per my manual, all my sata connector are 3.0gb...
Related resources
January 31, 2008 12:27:40 AM

If your mobo is SATA 3.0 and your drive is 3.0 then you are running 3.0. Some drives come strapped for 1.5 from the factory, so check your drive to see if you need to remove the strap.

Edit: If you put the SATA port back to IDE then you wouldn't have needed to moved the drive to another SATA port.
January 31, 2008 12:31:30 AM

I did, the hd only had instructions for making jumper connections for 1.5 and scsi

So there isnt any real way to tell?

January 31, 2008 12:37:31 AM

wow, i didnt even know there was a SATA 3.0

Edit: NM, im drunk and I got confused.
January 31, 2008 12:40:37 AM

What's the exact model of your drive? I should have asked in my initial post.
January 31, 2008 12:42:12 AM

rallyimprezive said:
wow, i didnt even know there was a SATA 3.0

Edit: NM, im drunk and I got confused.
For anyone else, SATA 3Gb/sec AKA SATAII
January 31, 2008 12:46:33 AM

Great question....

WD 2500KS

It reads in my device manager as
WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 ATA Device

My other hd, an IDE drive reads
IBM-DJNA-351520 ATA Device
January 31, 2008 1:03:12 AM

If you use either no jumper or place it on pins 1 & 2 your drive will be set to 3Gb/sec., note red square below. It appears that it comes this way by default. I just put a seagate 7200.10 in a machine and it was defaulted to 1.5GB/sec., that's why I asked.

January 31, 2008 1:21:23 AM

Zorg said:
For anyone else, SATA 3Gb/sec AKA SATAII

Yea thats what got me for a second. Then I sobered up and figured out what he meant. :) 
January 31, 2008 1:35:28 AM

rallyimprezive said:
Yea thats what got me for a second. Then I sobered up and figured out what he meant. :) 
I only posted that because it could be confusing to a sober person that wasn't familiar with the lingo. I say as I open a nice cold Becks.
January 31, 2008 1:54:14 AM

And now I understand even more clearly as I pour another Jack over ice.
January 31, 2008 2:30:46 AM

Sweet
January 31, 2008 3:17:11 AM

Becks... My Man - the Zorg! Remember; Comp :sol:  always says... "Life is too short to drink Old Swillwater Ultra Lite Ice in a Can with a piece of fruit stuffed in it"!
January 31, 2008 4:19:53 AM

If I was down in FLA on the beach I would be drinking all those island rum concoctions. I guess that gets old after awhile. The Becks does have a nice clean taste.
January 31, 2008 4:23:56 AM

... And Becks goes especially well with Flight Simulator - but keep in mind - never talk to the pilot while he's drinking!
January 31, 2008 4:26:28 AM

At least if you crash you won't spill your brew.
January 31, 2008 4:30:11 AM

That would indeed constitute an extreme party foul. Bruising the beer is not allowed under any circumstances, even while crashing.
January 31, 2008 4:37:35 AM

Then I have made more than my share of party fouls, and spilling the brew is among the least I'm sure.

I just finished my last Becks, I only had the last four out of the half case. I moved onto Glenfiddich Solera Reserve - neat.

It's getting a little harder to type. :pt1cable: 

Down but not out. [:zorg]
January 31, 2008 4:42:15 AM

Very fortunately for us, the beer store has more Becks, which is where I'm going, since my last one seems to be indicating a Red Alert - Low Beer Alarm. Also getting a little typer to hard. :pt1cable: 
January 31, 2008 4:44:40 AM

I should not be driving. I haven't had a DWI in 15 years, and I don't want one now.
January 31, 2008 5:11:50 AM

Fortunately for me, the beer store is within stumbling distance. Away Mission accomplished. Have Becks, will fly. :pt1cable: 
January 31, 2008 5:30:11 AM

Quote:
how do I know if my HD is operating at sata 3.0?

No such thing as SATA3 and SATA2 is not an offical standard yet unless things have changed in the past few months.
Sure every MB/HD company -sales- SATA2...but it is not an offical standard.

In any event outside of possibal server hardware no small office or home HD even uses all the bandwith of an ATA100/133 connection.

The -interface connection- (ATA/SATA) is still far faster than the read/write speed of normal HD's.
January 31, 2008 5:37:29 AM

Yipes, relax it was covered in subsequent posts. I do agree with you about the lack of need for SATA 3Gb/sec.
January 31, 2008 6:03:47 AM

ZOldDude said:
In any event outside of possibal server hardware no small office or home HD even uses all the bandwith of an ATA100/133 connection.

The -interface connection- (ATA/SATA) is still far faster than the read/write speed of normal HD's.

Until the Seagate.11 drives. See page 3, paragraph 5 - The Terabyte Battle -
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/05/the_terabyte_bat...

"Seagate's datasheet claims a sustained data transfer rate of 105 MB/s, which we could almost reach on a system based on Intel's ICH8 Southbridge. On our storage reference system, the hard drive still jumps over the 100 MB/s mark, and hence is the first desktop hard drive to deliver a three-digit transfer rate. At the same time, it also overtakes the 10,000 RPM Western Digital Raptor drives in most of the benchmarks. Its access time of 12.7 ms is still clearly longer than that of the Raptor, but the new Barracuda 7200.11 beats any other 7200 RPM hard drive with the exception of the aged 7K250 Deskstar by Hitachi."

Comp :sol: 
January 31, 2008 6:24:49 AM

So we have to assume that you agree that sata II uh oops I mean SATA 3Gb/sec is not of any real value currently?
January 31, 2008 6:27:40 AM

Nothing like some reasonably good single malt to cool you out.

Children, alcohol is bad for you and will hurt your future. I know, it's too late for me leave me behind. :lol: 
January 31, 2008 6:33:47 AM

Zorg said:
So we have to assume that you agree that sata II uh oops I mean SATA 3Gb/sec is not of any real value currently?

On the contrary, I think it's of great value to the hard drive OEM's in terms of marketing. 3.0Gb/sec always sounds better than 1.5 to the unknowledgeable novice.

Oh, and I'll drink to that!
January 31, 2008 6:38:34 AM

Well to be honest I am wishing for 5Gb/sec. I know that we will only get less than 1.5 speeds but I want higher interface performance. I will be nice.
January 31, 2008 6:46:20 AM

That's the one HDD benchmark in Tom's Charts which really should be accompanied by a statement regarding actual HDD bandwidth performance, just to help keep things in perspective for the unknowing. Raptors aren't 3.0Gb/sec because it won't affect performance.
January 31, 2008 6:56:25 AM

I know what you are saying. I have a Raptor and I have made two people buy them that probably don't appreciate them. You do have to admit that the Raptor needs PMR.
January 31, 2008 7:03:04 AM

Hopefully WD will release new Raptors sometime this year updated with all the latest technologies. I very much like my 150's, but I must admit that they're becoming a bit dated. As another mad scientist experiment, I've been considering swapping them out for 2 more Seagate.11 500's, then RAID 0 them with my existing .11 500, for a total of 3 500's in RAID 0, just to compare RAID 0 benchmarks. I also wouldn't mind having 1.5Tb of HDD space.
January 31, 2008 7:20:12 AM

Beware, I have heard about chipsets (nvidia?) having a cieling with throughput at 110-115 or something. I saw a thread earlier about an SAS set up that was getting outrageous numbers. I'll look.
January 31, 2008 8:20:07 AM

XRINGX:

Here are the instructions on how to change from IDE ot AHCI in Vista after you have installed the OS even though you have it working, you may want to put the harddrive back in the original spot you had it in??? Though this might help you and anyone else having the same problem because I did:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
a b G Storage
February 1, 2008 5:26:49 AM

Nice back on topic will. Do you know if it works for XP also? One of these days I want to get off of IDE mode and remove the "SATA 1" jumper. I'd like to do benchmarks of before and after to see if it really effects things.
February 1, 2008 8:37:08 AM

4745454b said:
Nice back on topic will. Do you know if it works for XP also? One of these days I want to get off of IDE mode and remove the "SATA 1" jumper. I'd like to do benchmarks of before and after to see if it really effects things.
This is a little old, but I suspect it's still valid. It may give you some insight.
Test: 6 HDD SATA 3 Gbits /s 250 GB - BeHardware
a b G Storage
February 1, 2008 10:45:44 AM

Very simply, your harddrive, no matter how many fancy names they make up for the inferfaces or interface speed ratings, cannot use all the bandwidth of SATA1, let alone the "theoretical" bandwidth of SATA2. By the way, it is theorectical because no drives can transfer data fast enough to prove it is indeed that fast. They might as well call it SATA 50, or SATA 10,000.

It is way past time for someone to bring hard drives up to date with rest of technology. Compared to everything else inside your PC, your hard drive is stone age. Spinning platters and a moving stylus, kind of like an old record turn table eh?

Todays hard drives may be solid/sound, and cheap, but they way they are made can only result in old/slow/ and clunky.
It will only change with Solid State drives.
February 3, 2008 9:34:59 AM

Got that.
February 3, 2008 11:20:50 AM

@OP: HD Tune Info Tab, the mode your HD running in is showed under standard.
!