I'm getting a warning on my HDD for the Power On Hours Count

ImmortalDragon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I have a WD1600AAJS, I've had it for a little over six months now. I have no problems with it but I've watched this Power On Hours Count go down for awhile now. I remember when it was at 97 and I figured it wasn't anything to worry about since this was the only attribute that was having an issue but it seems to continue to fall. Should I be worried?

I'm getting this warning from speedfan

NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (95) is below the normal range (98 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
if it has SMART, it will warn you before iminant failure.
also check it with everest. if SMART is warning you, the warning should come up in everest.
this has been my experience.

jstall

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
You can ignore the power on hours, that is pretty much meaningless. I would disable SMART warning for everything except relocated sectors, pending sectors and spin up failure the rest is not worth looking at.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Google did a report saying that when there was a warning that a drive was going to fail, most of the time it did (within 3 months). Now, this is google, you can't really argue their statistics, considering how many fixed disks they have.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
A larger # of drives does not mean more valid data if compiled all under same methodology as used by a single company, unless you also gave them your drive to be implemented in the same fashion.

Power on hours of rotation do equate to HDD life, but six months is not close to enough time to wear one out, it would be defect, or gross power or heat related if that happened now. Of course google tended to report heat didn't matter but this was in the context of prior system integration in which they had tried to implement drives with enough cooling instead of allowing overheating to occur. It's not really applicable to this thread but all studies are more flawed by method than by numbers.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It just means that your HD has been powered-on for more hours than the "average" user. A lot of people turn their PCs off at night, so if you leave yours on all/most of the time (like I do) you'll get this warning. I get it on my one year old HD and I just ignore it.

As the message says, it's not considered a pre-failure advisory.

I wouldn't worry about it.

E81XvaMn12X1P829

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
@bdaley before i ask my question i d first liked to know if you actually will be notified that some one wants to ask you a Q about a 3-4 yr old comment
so if do you get this notification, let me know you are still frequenting this place

and to think all of this, only cos clicking the "reply to" link seems to do nothing and you would at least expect a reply box separate from the "add a reply" box i'm writing in now

E81XvaMn12X1P829

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

@bdaley before i ask my question i d first liked to know if you actually will be notified that some one wants to ask you a Q about a 3-4 yr old comment
so if do you get this email, please let me know you are still checking up on the mails from THS

Kind Regards Tony