Temps of a 4200 x2 OC

Hi could anyone tell me what the problem is here as i am a bit stuck.
I overclocked my 4200 x2 to 2.5Ghz.

As soon as i do this my thermal diode on the motherboard reports temps of 72c.

I am using an asus M2N4-SLI board with a TT Big typhoon cooler+ AS 5 thermal paste.
Typhoon has been lapped nice and flat / Smooth mirrior finnish aswell.

Let me know what you think. Need help Thanks.

Silly Elf

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I have the same processor (a 2.21GHz Toledo OC'd to 2.69GHz) and I just finished my synthetic torture tests by running Prime95 for a combined 28 hours with no errors. My temps maybe hit 55 or 56C max, but never close to the 72C you are getting.

This was my first OC, so maybe I'm going to give nOOB advice, but here goes. If you increased the CPU voltage to OC that will increase heat in your system. Maybe back down a notch on the voltage if you did increase it.

I know you said your CPU fan was seated nice & flat but did you re-check the thermal diode and make sure it is seated properly?

While your checking the diode, make sure there is not too much thermal paste between the proc & your typhoon. If you layed it on to thick that can cause heat issues. I use an old credit card and really scrape a small dab around the area to get a nice thin layer.

I hope this helps you out some.

Thanks !

Turns out you were right. I took the heatsink off and cleaned it up and put a very small amount of AS 5 on again, lowerd the volt core of the cpu.
Got the Cpu up to 2.5 Ghz at 35c in windows idle tops out at 47c underload. Thanks for the tip Silly elf.