Deleted member 3023

Yesturday, I was doing quite a bit of downloading to get my laptop up to par
security wise. I downloaded the free version of ZoneAlarm and AVG. These
worked fine, and my security is great at the moment, especially with the
built in firewall of my linksys router. I scanned my computer last night
and I found 2 trojans, thus I quickly took care of them, but I didn't finish
the scan because it was already too late at night. This morning I turned on
my laptop, and I see everything start out correctly, then I see this blue
screen flash across the screen, and then my computer shuts down. I didn't
get a chance to read any of it, and when I rebooted, it asked me if I wanted
to go to safe mode, go back to the original configuration before I had any
problems, or just do a normal boot. I selected the normal boot again, and
it happened again. So this time i restarted my computer and i chose the
original configuration before any problems, and now I am wondering what the
hell went wrong. My xp discs are on there way just in case I need to do an
fdisk or something of that nature. Can someone tell me what happened or if
they incurred something of this nature.

A full system scan is in order at this point. You need to realize that
multiple layers of protection are needed and in todays environment you need
real time scanning. Avast, Zone Alarm and Microsoft AntiSpyware all do this
and are highly recommended by me. Other good spyware\adware\malware removal
and blocking programs are AdAware SE, Spybot Search and Destory, and
SpywareBlaster. TTFN.
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those
that can't.

It's not all that uncommin, when fixing a virus, that something else will get
messed up. The virus writers don't want you to be able to remove their
programs.

Here's how to get the Blue Screen to stop, so that you can read it. Go to
Start...Control Panel...System, then select the Advanced tab and then the
button for Startup and Recovery Settings. Under the System Failure block,
uncheck the box that says Automatically Restart and select OK. The next time
you get the dreaded BSOD - Blue Screen Of Death - you'll be able to read the
message. Copy it's details down and post them here and we'll try to sort it
out.

Also, you might be able to check you Event Viewer - Start...Control
Panel...Administrative tools for some other indications of the problem.

Good luck!

"Corey" wrote:

> Yesturday, I was doing quite a bit of downloading to get my laptop up to par
> security wise. I downloaded the free version of ZoneAlarm and AVG. These
> worked fine, and my security is great at the moment, especially with the
> built in firewall of my linksys router. I scanned my computer last night
> and I found 2 trojans, thus I quickly took care of them, but I didn't finish
> the scan because it was already too late at night. This morning I turned on
> my laptop, and I see everything start out correctly, then I see this blue
> screen flash across the screen, and then my computer shuts down. I didn't
> get a chance to read any of it, and when I rebooted, it asked me if I wanted
> to go to safe mode, go back to the original configuration before I had any
> problems, or just do a normal boot. I selected the normal boot again, and
> it happened again. So this time i restarted my computer and i chose the
> original configuration before any problems, and now I am wondering what the
> hell went wrong. My xp discs are on there way just in case I need to do an
> fdisk or something of that nature. Can someone tell me what happened or if
> they incurred something of this nature.

jeff

try running system file checker
start > run > sfc /scannow
You will possibly be prompted to insert your winXP disk to copy files that
need repair. Under some circumstance, like upgrade to sp2, sfc will not be
able to find files on original sp1 disk. There are work arounds for this.
Good luck.

Jeff