Problems with Samsung SH-S183L

CamHart

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Last night my Samsung TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183L with firmware SB01 starting screwing up on me. But my computer seemed to freeze up whenever a program tried accessing information about the drive, or about the discs in the drive. Firstly, I want to know if that is possible (the drive being able to freeze up the computer)? It wouldn't freeze permantly (like i didnt have to reboot), just for like 5 seconds then I would have a few seconds of my computer working normal then it would freeze up again for another 5 seconds. It also wouldn't burn anything for me.

Then I decided I would try to upgrade the firmware (I know it appeared to be broken already, but i just went on a rampage to try and fix it). Nothing seemed to be working and I kept getting errors saying "Fail CMD Run!!" or "This firmware is not compliant with your drive" (even though it was).

So I took my drive out of my case, blew some dust off of it. Then i hooked it back up OUTSIDE of my case just sitting on a stack of books. After i restarted, the firmware changed from SB01 to BOOT (Why'd this happen? Because I unplugged it?). From this point I was able to successfully upgrade my firmware from BOOT to the current SB03 and now it seems to be working fine.

Anyways, do you think my drive is about to die on me? I've had it for just over 6 months. Samsungs support for their drives is TERRIBLE. The site seems like it used a online translator to translate from Korean to English. I'm leaving for college and this computer is staying behind with my family, so I want them to have a working drive (college is ~1700 miles away from home so i can't just go home n fix it).

I want to apologize if I said something stupid because I'm no pro with computers (if i was I wouldn't be here asking ya :D).

Incase anyone else is looking for help with this same drive, or another samsung drive when it comes to updating the firmware MANUALLY (as their live updater blows), this is what you have to do.

1. Go to samsungodd.com (easy)
2. Click your language, and you need to be in IE instead of firefox which is retarded (easy)
3. Hover your mouse over firmware then click on Firmware downloads (easy)
4. Click on your correct drive and a popup will come up and then download the attachment file (name will be something like SH-S183L_SB03.exe [3 being the version of the firmware])
5. Once it's downloaded, to update manually you have to extract (I used Winrar) the SH-S183L_SB0#.exe file. (this confused me for HOURS and nowhere on samsungs site do they state you have to do that)
6. The extracted matieral will include one .exe and another .bin. Run the .exe, click the top left button and a file browse will appear. Find the .bin file you just extracted and then click the top left button one over. If all goes well, this will update your firmware.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If it's working now, likely the update fixed. You could always get a new drive, they're only about $30 and RMA that one, never hurts to have a back up. Samsung makes good drives so could have just been a firmware problem. If you keep having problems, definitely RMA it

Just a Quess, but you may have had a cable problem (ie loose or one pin not making good contact). Removing and reattaching cables would have corrected that.

I also have same drive and had problems with uodating firmware. First it told my incorrect drive, then incorrect firmware. Re-downloded software and it finally worked.

Checked writing a DVD and used Nero and checked the quality - Execlent. Then checked the disk in a plextor SA755 using plextools, also excellent. (Note disk was old Fujifilm 8x made in JAPAN)