FX-4170 vs i7-930

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Which one is better for gaming. According to tomhardware heirarchy they are in the same tier. But I'm assuming the 4170 is better as it is newer and has a higher clock. Also that one leaves more room for upgrade. But which one has higher Gflops? I couldn't find it anywhere else. Thank you for the help.

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
What are you insulted bye? What is wrong with this question. Sandy bridge i3's are better for gaming than the i7 930. Things get better over time. 8 cores doesn't even help for gaming. I actually got a higher frame rate with it HT disabled because it doesn't even use the other 4 cores when you game. I think this is a very valid question. i7 isn't better than all CPU's especially a first generation. You obviously don't understand the fact that all i7's are different and that i7 has a pretty lose definition. Now almost all high end CPUs are stronger than my current one. Have you ever heard of the term architecture, it's how performance improves even when clock doesn't. So if you are an idiot and don't understand leave me alone and don't post stupid comments in an area you don't know about. If you aren't going to help screw off and leave it to people who know what they are talking about

Okay okay,

First of all son, don't start name calling. 'verbalizer' knows more than you can ever even hope to know. The i7-930 is slightly better than the FX-4170. Yes they are in the same tier, and they can both be overclocked. It isn't the frequency that is important between these two. It is the IPC or Instructions per Clock (or Iterations per Clock/Cycle). This is where Intel has the edge. In one clock cycle it can handle more instructions than the AMD counterpart.

It looks like from your sig you already have an i7-930. If I were you, I would get a decent aftermarket air cooler (if you don't have one already) and put a mild overclock on that CPU. It's still high end despite being a few years old.

Considering a 4.0GHz overclock is fairly common for the i7-930, the FX-4170 would need to be clocked to about 6.0GHz just to keep up. And unless you have an elaborate liquid nitrogen cooling system, well it ain't gonna happen.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
An Sandy Bridge is on average 10-15% more powerful than the original i7. The Ivy bridge is a tiny improvement of about 5% over Sandy bridge.

BD is completely devasted by both and barely matches the first generation i7.An I7-9xx Overclocked to 3.6ghz will require you to have a fairly substantial BD overclock to match/exceed the raw performance of the 1st gen.

Needless to say; the i7-9xx is still *kicking ass and taking names* even 4 years after it was launched. That just shows you just how powerful intel has become... 4 years for AMD to match 1st gen performance...