Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Mounting

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2008 10:47:43 AM

Hard drives are usually mounted in case on the horizontal not on end correct!

So can a small mini tower case be turned on the horizontal as long as the optical drive is of the type that can be placed side on (clamp disk type).

Reason being i don't know it a standard WD SATA2 HD will operate same as placed on the hoizontal.

I'am sure it will run for a while but will the operation hours - life of HD be shortened, or errors, etc.

thanks all,

More about : hard drive mounting

February 1, 2008 3:39:28 PM

I don't know of any negative side effects of mounting the HDD "on end", but horizontal mounting makes the most sense as it will keep the platter even and not put any additional stress on the motor that spins the disk.

That being said, there are plenty of external HDD's that are mounted on end, and they seem to work fine. :shrug:
February 1, 2008 4:27:55 PM

Many external drives are mounted vertically in the enclosure. I have read vertical is the recommended orientation for high vibration applications like in cars.
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 1, 2008 4:55:53 PM

Dell has drives mounted vertically in some models.
A hard drive will work even upside down.
February 1, 2008 5:12:54 PM

I forget where I read this information, but I had researched this topic awhile back and had found a forum post by a man who had worked in the production of HDs, and stated that the type of bearings used in HDs are manufactured in a way that always keeps equal tension on everything (sorry I don't recall the exact terminology).

Anyway, this meant that there was no additional stress on the platters themselves regardless of horizontal or vertical orientation.
February 1, 2008 6:13:03 PM

Quote:
I forget where I read this information, but I had researched this topic awhile back and had found a forum post by a man who had worked in the production of HDs, and stated that the type of bearings used in HDs are manufactured in a way that always keeps equal tension on everything (sorry I don't recall the exact terminology).

Anyway, this meant that there was no additional stress on the platters themselves regardless of horizontal or vertical orientation.
Nice, I'll have to check that out.
February 1, 2008 6:35:21 PM

Most servers (2U and larger) mount drives on their sides and most Dells (at least up to about a year ago) mount their drives front down (on end) and those all seem to work just fine.
February 1, 2008 7:42:11 PM

there's no real difference in the way it's positioned, just as long as it doesn't CHANGE positions rapidly when it's spinning
February 1, 2008 8:27:57 PM

valis said:
there's no real difference in the way it's positioned, just as long as it doesn't CHANGE positions rapidly when it's spinning

I agree, I don’t believe there to be any side effect from mounting a drive vertically/horizontally/diagonal/upside-down you just need to make certain it is firmly mounted.

**edited my brutal spelling errors
February 2, 2008 10:22:23 AM

Thanks guys for your responses - i'am still learning every day : )
a b G Storage
February 2, 2008 10:54:49 AM

Yes, you can mount a drive in any position.
!