asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Enermax makes high quality power supplies in general. Not necessarily the best, but you get a good PS for the price you pay.

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Apparently, according to the consumers on Newegg, their Liberty series (the 620 in particular) are extremely faulty. Most blow up within or just after the 12 month mark. Unfortunetly I didn't know this before purchasing a 620W Liberty myself. Its only been a few months but I will admit this PSU is working flawlessly. Silent, powerful and able to take my E6420 C2D @ 2.66 (1.30 Vcore) and HD2900Xt with ease. Wish me luck in about 8 months.

Cheers

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Gosh I love reading Newegg. I decided to read comments people posted about their failed power supplies. There's a BUNCH of people that put for tech level high. I found that hilarious because there's so many that are smart, but still dumb. One post the guy said something like 'My PSU died after 14 months. Bought a new coolermax 1000w for my system. Then if you look at his system link it showed a computer that uses at most 200w. CLEARLY that guy isn't a high tech level if he's fixing the problem buy buying a power supply that significantly exceeds what he uses it for. I find the blame game too common on user comments on newegg.
So what if the PSU smoked. What caused it? Bad electricity? Bad technician? Poor ventilation leading to overheating? Sure it's easy to see that there might be a correlation with all the failed power supplies, but how many didn't fail? Clearly they did do something right. With all of the fireballs/sparks/smoke I didn't read a single article(no, I didn't read all of them, only 3 pages of ratings of 2 or less) where their computer was damaged, only the power supply. Enermax paid for shipping of the old and new power supply, and in a case or 2 they even honored their warranty at 14 and 16 months! How can you ask for more? I would still buy an Enermax, and I'd even buy that model if it was what I needed.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I agree, theres a idiot born every minute.

Ibanezrg570

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007

No offence sir, but I did not question Enermax's reliability. All I did was point out that there had been quite a few reports of their Liberty PSU's going nuclear. And honestly, take a look at the top teir PSU list here on TH. They actually bumped the Liberty down to teir 4 BECAUSE of these reports of them going nuclear. SO next time, you might want to read before resorting to flame.

http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/showthread.php?t=103

Cheers

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

It wasn't aimed at you, it was aimed at the reviewer who install a PSU in a case that has bad air flow or buy a 1000W PSU when all they need is 400W. :)

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

@ systemlord & ibanezrg570

I'm sorry that my post caused the flames to start. That was not my intention. If you read the post you linked ibanzrg570 they clearly state:

And before you nimrods start whining about why your beloved OCZ only made teir 4... this is three tiers of HIGH END products. If the product isn't even on the list, it could be that I either don't know about it or it's not considered high end. So if your PSU is actually in teir 3, grab your e-Penis and know that you at least made the worst of the best.

I'm not sure what info TH has to classify 4 tiers of high end products. I surely hope they have some kind of inside gouge information or some kind of test they performed to classify these. It would be great if they would post how they came to these conclusions. It does say they test the products before they classify it, but what tests are performed? See how much load the PSU can take above 100% before it dies? Does the power supply have some kind of safety feature that watches the rails closely, and if something goes terribly wrong and the PSU doesn't turn off it sacrifies the PSU unit to save the rest of the computer? To me if a PSU company had a feature that would sacrifice a PSU that was out to lunch, that would almost qualify as Tier 1 in my book.

These are all high end products. Being tier 1 or tier 4 means nothing to me in all honestly. It's still a high end product, and I would expect to pay more, but also get what I pay for.

Overall, this is a case of a high end product that failed(reguardless of reason). It's still MUCH better hearing Enermax than "umm.. it came with my $25 case". Kudos for considering buying a high end component. Buy a high end PSU and a UPS and your computer will love you for it. You don't need a super expensive UPS. just one that will provide a few mins of power to allow your computer to automatically shutdown if power is lost and to pick up the slack on those few power surges you get that are bad for your PSU. I'd rather have 2 lines of protection(UPS and PSU) than just hope the PSU can handle the dirty power that the electricity company sends you. I want to see my UPS go up in smoke before the PSU.

Without going into extravagant UPS design details, the battery in the UPS acts as a buffer, absorbing voltage jumps and drops in the sine wave that lasts a short period of time. Your PSU's capacitor's normally can pick up this slack if it's short duration. Long duration is bad for the PSU and your computer could randomly reboot as a result.

akhilles

Splendid
Good products + good customer service are important. I'm sure there are better brands than Enermax. I was sold when they took my galaxy back & gave me a NEW one which has been flawless since.