mr_psi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Hello All,

Just joined the forums and did a search and didnt return any information related to this topic.

I have just purchased a Gigabyte mainboad GA-P35-DS3P. It is great!

I am having one issue though. i have some ordinary Kingston RAM that i am using with the system and it works fine with one or two sticks. Just to clarify this it works fine if its in single channel mode. If any stick is inserted to either the DIMM3 or DIMM4 the system will not work. The computer will power on with no display for about 5 seconds. after this it will restart itself doing the same thing over and over again. There is no post.

The ram is listed in the compatible list provided by Gigabyte. The RAM is also rated at 1.8v so there should be no need to up the voltage i would say (even though i have tried upping it 0.2v). The RAM is also not faulty as i have 4 sticks and they seem to work fine in the other computer.

I am leaning towards a compatibility issue between something or a motherboard fault?

anyone please advise? i might just be missing some sort of enabling dual channel ddr config?

Thanks
Mark

thegreat1

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
your question is very vague.

Do you have 2 sticks of ram in the machine right now? If you do, then its in Dual channel mode. On some motherboards the slots are colour coded. There will be 2 blacks and 2 yellows, etc..... stick 1 goes into dimm slot 1, stick 2 goes to dimm slot 3, or w/e your mobo configuration tells you to do.

So as long as you have 2 sticks in there, its in dual chanel mode.

Can you not put 4 sticks in there? is that what your problem is>?

you cannot put a stick of ram on say dimm slot 4, and leave dimm slot 1 open. youve got to fill them up in sequence, though i dont know for sure, ive never tried.

mr_psi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
mine are colour coded red and yellow.

DIMM1 = RED
DIMM2=YELLOW
DIMM3=RED
DIMM4=YELLOW

i want to use two sticks in dual channel.

i put a stick in DIMM1 (RED) and DIMM3 (RED) and the computer will not display or post but power on for 5 secs and restart.

if i put a stick in DIMM1 (RED) and DIMM2(YELLOW) the computer will post and work a charm.

If i put a single stick in DIMM1(RED) the computer will also work a charm.

it seems that if i put anything in DIMM3(RED) or DIMM4(YELLOW) the computer refuses to work. As said no post no display just power on for 5 secs and restart and it just repeatedly does the same thing.

hope this helps

I just went through something similar with another board, which I'm in the process of RMA~ing.

Set your board back to the defaults, if you changed anything. Get MEMTEST, and set up a bootable floppy/cd. Run that on one stick at a time without booting to windows, and see what happens.

Zekovian

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I don't know if this will help but you can give it a try. I was putting together my new computer on the weekend and I had 4 X 1gb DDR2-6400 in it. Well the machine would run for a while, but it would reboot after a while. I would run a memtest, and although there would be no errors shown, the memtest program would crash after about 50 minutes. So I took two sticks out and ran it with 2GB in Dual Channel mode and it ran fine. Than I put in a third stick, it ran in "Flex Memory" mode, and again, system ran fine. I put in the forth stick and it started to reboot again (as a side not, I did test each memory module individually and they tested fine, so it was not a matter of a bum stick). I have an Intel E6750, with a FSB of 1333. My RAM was running at 800MHZ, so I clocked it down to 667 (Which is evenly divisible by the FSB, and from what I hear recommended anyhow) and it's worked great ever since. Like I said, don't know if this helps but it's worth a shot.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Have you tried putting in the yellow slots? I have 2x1GB in both yellow slots, different board, but same setup (red/yellow/red/yellow)

mr_psi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
yes i have tried puttin in both the yellow slots. no luck

i have tried puttin just one stick in both DIMM3 and DIMM4. no luck

i think its time for gigbyte to get there board back in a couple pieces.... :p

thanks guys will let you know how it goes....