Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Fastest 2.5" 7200rpm PATA Laptop Hard Drive?

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2008 11:09:45 AM

I have an older IBM Laptop (R51) and want to replace the 5400rpm drive in it with a faster 7200rpm drive. What is the fastest 2.5" 7200rpm PATA drive out there? Either the Seagate Momentus 7200.1 or the Hitache 7k100 I guess? Or are there newer 5400rpm drives that I should be looking at?

The drive in it right now is a 5400rpm Toshiba MK4032GAX.

May 5, 2009 6:24:56 AM

It is useless to upgrade to 7200 with that grandmotherboard of yours ... Just allow your old laptop to age gracefully... Help her change lightbulbs when asked.. :o  :o  :o  :o 
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
May 9, 2009 7:34:51 AM

Why reply to a year old question?
Surely, he has taken action by now.
And your 'answer "was no answer.
He asked a technical question, you responded like a smart-ass.
Related resources
March 31, 2010 10:13:17 AM

I would still like to know.

I have a Dell XPS M170 it is about 3 years old but is still good. Just before 3 years was up the hard disk failed. Under warranty Dell fixed it but then one thing after another failed, and amazingly Dell ended up replacing literally everything except the aluminium case. So it is like brand new.

I cannot put more RAM in and it takes PATA or IdE 2.5 inch drives. I want to gain speed.

1) Is there any point in installing a 7200 drive instead of the 5400 one

2) Are there even faster drives out there (say 10,000 or more spin speed as there is with 3.5" drives.) I am looking at spending less than £100 ($150) so SSD's are out.

April 2, 2010 11:44:47 PM

graham3d3d said:

I have a Dell XPS M170 it is about 3 years old but is still good. Just before 3 years was up the hard disk failed. Under warranty Dell fixed it but then one thing after another failed, and amazingly Dell ended up replacing literally everything except the aluminium case. So it is like brand new.

I cannot put more RAM in and it takes PATA or IdE 2.5 inch drives. I want to gain speed.

2) Are there even faster drives out there (say 10,000 or more spin speed as there is with 3.5" drives.) I am looking at spending less than £100 ($150) so SSD's are out.

I've never seen faster than 7200 rpm in a 2.5 inch IDE/PATA hard drive; I suspect a 10,000 rpm drive would consume a lot more power and reduce battery life, consequently they're not available as internal notebook drives (not sure they even exist). In any case, it would only make sense to put a 7200 rpm drive in a laptop that was designed to accommodate it - the vast majority of older laptops only came with 4200 or 5400 rpm drives; 7200 rpm IDE notebook drives are relatively rare.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
September 28, 2010 8:08:24 PM

graham3d3d said:

I just ordered a HM160HC Samsung Spinpoint M5 160GB ATA/IDE (PATA) Laptop Hard Drive for $52.25 that I found by searching Google shopping for HM160HC. It is only 5400 RPM but the benchmarks look faster than the Hitachi 7200RPM 100GB drive that I had been looking at. It only draws 0.85 amps (1.1 amps for the Hitachi) so it should run cool and not drain the batteries too fast in my old Dell Latitude D610.
I found the review of it here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aft...

Grace

Steve
October 22, 2010 1:14:36 AM

graham3d3d said:

I have Seagate 2.5" PATA 7200rpm to sell but I don't know if you want to pay more than $100 for it for just around 100GB. If you are serious, send me an email at venturewiz@yahoo.com. You might want to decide fast because they are discontinued and quantity won't last.

SSD for PATA may not be wise for serious usage. For one thing, PATA SSD are far more costly with less capacity (usually around 64GB). Also, the read/write speed is significantly slower than SATA SSD that on average. PATA SSD usually are only read write between 60 to 75MB / sec.

However, if you love your laptop and wants to give it a long lasting durable hard drive, then SSD is the solution. Just remember, SSD's life expectancy is dependent on the amount of read/write cycle which also is dependent on the manufacturer's quality control.

Another thing. Many SSD users noticed a burst like behavior in the performance. Meaning, while usual functions like boot up and open/closing applications might feel faster than platter drives, transfering data and running multimedia contents might have momentary freeze similar to streaming video taking time to buffer. I advice is to test one out somewhere before spending money on SSD.

Good luck. I hope this helped.
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
October 23, 2010 9:42:10 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!