Sign in with
Your question

Diamond Viper - ATI Radeon™ X1950PRO 512MB AGP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2007 10:03:44 AM

Hi,

As I had many problems with my Powercolor x1950Pro AGP card, I requested
the card to be exchanged with a Diamond Viper one.

This because Diamond, among GeCube and VisionTek, uses a differtent PCB
that don't seems to have the most common x1950 Pro AGP problems.

Has anybody experience with the Diamond Viper X1950 Pro AGP card?

Asus P4P800 deluxe motherboard
Corsair HX620 PSU
2 GB memory
October 5, 2007 8:55:45 AM

The shop were I bought my Powercolor card confirmed today that my Diamond Viper card is on his way.

I will let you know if this card performs well.
October 19, 2007 6:43:47 PM

Diamond Viper card works fine.
Currently I use the supplied 7.4 Catalyst driver.

Yes, the fan on the cooler makes noise. When no music is coming from your pc you will hear it. It doesn't bother me, and I think I will get used to it in time.

I ran the 3d mark tests:

Aquamark 64482
3dMark2005 6677
3dMark2006 3750

Asus P4P800 deluxe
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 Ghz
4 * 512 Crucial Ballistix PC3200 memory
Related resources
October 19, 2007 9:55:17 PM

your scores are fairly low, but thats probably cause of ur cpu.

also try driver 7.10 (should be called 8!)
October 20, 2007 11:00:58 AM

blade85 said:
your scores are fairly low, but thats probably cause of ur cpu.

also try driver 7.10 (should be called 8!)

Scores for the videocard match with those found on the site with 3dmark06 lists.
For the total score my cpu is indeed the bottleneck.

As the X1950Pro is a huge improvement over my 9800Pro (and the non working powercolor :kaola:  ) I am gald with this systemupgrade.
October 20, 2007 12:41:37 PM

They name the drivers after the month they were released, soo they only ever get to (year).(month)
October 21, 2007 12:10:28 AM

tjopper said:
Scores for the videocard match with those found on the site with 3dmark06 lists.
For the total score my cpu is indeed the bottleneck.

As the X1950Pro is a huge improvement over my 9800Pro (and the non working powercolor :kaola:  ) I am gald with this systemupgrade.

fair enough. All im saying is that the card is capable of a fair bit more (relatively speaking, since 3dmark is pretty useless)

I get 10121 on 3dmark05 and over 5100 in 3dmark06.
October 21, 2007 12:41:44 AM

My system athlon 4000
corsair 3500 ll pro
powercolor x1950 pro 256
7.10 drivers
3d mark score 9886
October 24, 2007 9:27:32 AM

blade85 said:
fair enough. All im saying is that the card is capable of a fair bit more (relatively speaking, since 3dmark is pretty useless)

I get 10121 on 3dmark05 and over 5100 in 3dmark06.

What are your system specs?
Is there a better tool for performance testing?

And indeed, what matters is the overal experience you have when playing games. And for my standards it is
pretty good at the moment. Played the Hellgate London demo yesterday and it looks just great.

October 24, 2007 10:22:01 AM

Iv got a E6600@stock with 2 gigs ram, 250gb hdd, x1950 pro pro and a 380 watt psu.
October 26, 2007 1:15:39 AM

I have the same card on the way, but it's the blue one sold at TigerDirect. I specifically got this one over the one at Newegg 'cause the fan and heat sink are mounted backwards to others I've seen. The fan (and intake) are toward the inside of the case, at the end of the card and the exhaust is at the back, near the back of the case. I'm mounting a 22 cfm slot fan there and it should pick up the exhaust air from the video card and toss it right out the back. I also got this one because it has two Molex conections instead of the one PCIe. This way, I can use two rails from my PSU without using the adapter. I'm using it with a Corsair HX620 PSU as well. I'll let you know how it turns out. :) 

P4P800SE
3.2 Prescott @ stock
2x1 GB PC3200
Maxtor Diamondmax 300 GB SATA
November 5, 2007 4:59:50 AM

Card still runs fine. The following games I can run with no problems:

- F.E.A.R. (almost everything set to High)
- Hellgate demo (high settings)
- Crysis demo (that one goes to medium settings '-)

For what the noise of the fan on the coolingcard:

Yes, the noise isn't really annoying but then again I think everyone wants to give it a try to make his system as quiet as possible.

So did I, and I ordered an Accelero X2 cooler. As stated on the site of Artic Cooling as on the website of the shop this cooler should be compatible with all X1950 Pro cards.

HOWEVER, this cooler won't fit on a Diamond Viper X1950 Pro AGP card! For some reason, the mounting holes on a Diamond Viper X1950 Pro AGP card differ from those found on a Diamond Viper X1950 Pro PCI-E card.

I contacted Artic Cooling and they said that I was the first one to 'complain' that the cooler does't fit on a X1950 pro AGP card. I didn't have the chance to ask Diamond about it, because my registration still isn't confirmed after 7 days. So I can't file a question on their site.
November 7, 2007 6:54:27 PM

Well, I've had the card for over a week and here are my impressions:
What a great card! This thing does not run hot like I've heard elsewhere. Again, I have the one with the fan at the front of the card and exhaust at the back. I put a 22 CFM slot fan under it and it does a fantastic job of pulling the heat from the card. I tweaked the fan settings a bit and have it set to idle at 60%. I get an idle temp of 40° and I haven't been able to get it above 52° in games. I'm playing F4:AF, granted, it's a two year-old game, but I'm running it with full graphics settings at 1920 x 1080 x 32. I get 110-120 fps at high altitudes and around 40 fps at low altitudes, where it has to draw high ground detail. It's largely removed some of the glitchy behavior from some of my other games too, nice.
There's only one issue though: For some reason I have to do a power off restart every time. When I do a simple power on restart the card turns off the video signal and I get a black screen. Now, my monitor fried a while back and I'm using my TV as a monitor till I get a new one. The TV is at least detecting the card because the TV will go to a blue screen and shut off after 1 minute with no signal. I'm getting a continuous black screen, as if the video card shut off it's signal. While I was going through cards trying to find one that works I had at least one other that did the same thing, that's what makes me think it might be the TV. It's kind of a dilemma because I only have a 30 day window to return the card, but I'm not quite ready to get my new monitor yet. I really don't want to return it, I absolutely LOVE the performance increase it's given me, what bottleneck?:-) Man, I'm at a loss on this one.
Thanks for all the great advice I continue to get here! :-)

PS> I'm not overclocking it, but the stock clocks advertise 575/1380 and mine shows 580/1404 stock. :-)
The X1950 Pro AGP I have.
May 23, 2008 4:57:15 PM

I'm trying to get that annoying fan to slow down a bit but I'm having no success with ATItool, ATItraytools or RIVA Tuner. Why on earth wouldn't Diamond include fan control in this board?!!?

Anyone has any tips on how to reduce the fan speed? BIOS flash, some obscure registry tweak? anything?
May 23, 2008 6:43:07 PM

Yes I have. I it not possible as far as I know to tweak anything by means of software, so you have to go for a hardware solution.

As stated before the Accelero X2 cooler DOES NOT fit on this card, but I found a great solutiuon:

- Zalman VGA Koeler VF1000LED

Yes, it is quit expensive but boy this cooler does what it says. Noise level is very low and fan speed can be adjusted. Overall a very good solution over the standard cooler.
May 23, 2008 7:31:52 PM

thanks
!