My computer reboots over and over.

corgae

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Hello everyone.

Ive got a a problem with my PC. I was playing some games yesterday and the computer just reboots without reason so i thought it was the heat who did it. But it wasent because my temprature was pretty low. So i tryed to fire it up again, but before the winxp boot screen it's just reboot. and sometimes it's start and the computer runs for about 4 minuets reboot again. So i decided to re-install and see if that solve any problems. So i starting to install XP i formating my windows partition, that works fine. And now the windowsinstaller i can install for about 10 minuets it's rebooting again. I have runned 3 different Mem-testers from Hiren's boot CD and i have test the CPU too. And there is not any problems with them. Anyone know if i can solve this problem in anyways? What componets may wait for the Trashcan?!

thanks for answers.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Hi,

Please submit first all your system's specs (MB, HHD, PSQ, RAM, ...).
This will help better to understand what could be the problem.

May be your PSU is overloaded?
Are you overclocking? If yes, reset to default to see if still reboting.
Need your temps.

MadCow809

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
put everything back on default and try again.

if the problem still exist, keep us updated and i will see what i can do.

akhilles

Splendid
It's hard to troubleshoot w/o knowing the details. The specs would be helpful. If you have another pc, you can try swapping out parts.

BTW, windows install DOES reboot after it copies some files to hdd. Then it'll continue install.

Once installed, there's a setting in system properties for restarting when an error occurs. Tab F8 when booting up Windows and disable that.

Nagatsubo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I had this problem about 18 months ago. No matter what I would do, the PC would randomly reboot and usually in a very short time. In my case, it turned out to be a virus. If you run out of ideas, please give this a try.

Remove your hardrives and attach them to another system with a good, up-to-date virus scan program and scan the drive completely. If you have more than 1 drive you will have to do it to all of them. You'll know if a virus is at the root of problem rather quickly this way but it's the only way to keep the drive running long enough for a complete scan.