Need help getting a Samsung DVD RW to work

humpelfluch

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Basically, I bought a TSST SH-S203P DVD RW the other day, with a view to burning a load of crap from my hard drive onto some DVDs to clear some space and whatnot. It's a SATA drive, and was the first time I'd ever installed anything using SATA before but I figured it'd be fine.

Well, I plugged it in, and once the comp booted up Windows XP recognised it, but it just won't work at all. The first time I put either a CD or DVD in, it would not open the discs, or correctly display their size, showing them as either blank discs with nothing on, or sometimes with odd bits of files. Now whenever I click on a disc in the drive it tells me that it is corrupt and unreadable. I tried using Nero to burn some DVDs, but it told me they were the wrong type (which they're not), and the types of DVD I could burn to wasn't the complete list I checked on the Samsung Electronics website.

I shouls be able to read and burn almost everything with the drive, and the DVDs I've got for burning are DVD-R. I uninstalled Nero, and tried to install new firmware, but it's fully updated, and then started getting BSODs, so I reverted my hard drive back to before I installed Nero so it's basically back to where it was initially.

I'm using an MSI K9MM-V motherboard. I updated the hyperion 4in1 drivers (which didn't solve it) on the advice from another forum, but I haven't heard anything back for a while so I thought I'd try here. Any help to solve this problem would be much appreciated, thanks!

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
MAke sure your SATA is setup right in the Bios. It needs to be raid disabled and IDE mode enabled. Im not sure about XP but you might have to load the SATA controller drivers manually in XP. Also some SATA ports are for HDD and some are for DVD/CD. Make sure you didnt plug it in to the wrong slot. Read your manual to find the right slot to plug the DvD into.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Looks like that board may have 1.5 SATA connectors and if the drive is 3.0, you may have to change the jumper setting on the DVD. There should be instructions on the drive's mfg website

humpelfluch

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I think the SATA connectors only accept hard drives, but I might be wrong. I don't really know how to confirm that, since the manual is incredibly vague, any way of actually checking whether the SATA connectors will take optical drives?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

SATA connectors will accept hdd or optical drives. Some are set up for RAID and adjustments have to be made in the BIOS if not running RAID