Is this Anandtech Barcelona review?

majums

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I got a Anandtech RSS update on my iGoogle page this morning, the title says "AMD's Quadcore: defending new found territory". But when I click it doesn't resolve to a page. Any way, can you guys guess anything from the title? I will try to upload a screen shot.
screenshot (really bad scaling)
AMDReview_scaled.jpg

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Sure does sound like it.
From what i gather its not going to bludgeon all cpu's or it would have been "AMD's Quadcore: owns all. you buy now" or something along those lines. Sounds to me it only wins in exotic new programs that take advantage of it but apart from that it's 7-20% faster the Clovertown.

Kob

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I don't know if this was posted here before, but over at the anandtech forum the tech editor shared a few days ago some of his experience with Barcelona. To summarize:

1. Barcelona will show its power only above 2.4GHz. So don't expect fireworks on launch date.
2. Over the last few months each stepping showed a marked improvement over the prior one. Current stepping is B02, which will make some people happy with benchmark results, and some people not - depending on the particular application.
3. All past benchmarks and related hints are not reliable, since engineering samples had various sub-systems switched on or off - depending on the particular sample on hand.
4. The next stepping to come, B03, supposes to show what Barcelona is capable of, but this will not be evident on Sep 10th.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
There are tons of AMD fans on this site IMO. Never found Toms biased, where is that coming from???

Anyway, we got one more day till Barcelona launches!

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Anyone know approx. clock headroom @ 45nm? 4.5 Ghz? I can still remember getting excited over 90nm like it was a few months ago LOL.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Yeah nobody is going to be impressed by 2ghz. You wont see any Barcelona horsepower until you start seeing the 2.6+ ghz models. Unfortunately by then, Intel will be well into 3.2+ghz. I think they will pretty much be neck and neck until Intel runs outta headroom with their current architecture.

Intel has shown 3.33 ghz parts publically, and they have roadmapped a 3.4 ghz dual core part as well.

The 45 nano process is supposed to have vastly better leakage/switching characteristics due to low/hi K gates, but there are no "official" guide lines.

Most folks seem to think that 4.0 ghz parts will be officially released.

"Good" G0 steppings at 65 nanos will often go 4.0 now, so the shrink to 45 nanos + the Hafnium upgrade ~~should~~ make 4.0 pretty easily do-able, but this is, of course, just speculation.

continuation

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

According to the SPEC benchmarks Barcelona clock-for-clock compared to Clovertown is about:

7% slower on int
0.6% faster on fp

Here's the thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245040-28-official-barcelona-benches-approx-xeons

This doesn't look good for AMD. Basically Barcelona is slightly behind in clock-for-clock performance and massively behind in raw clock speed. This is just compared to Clovertown. When Penryn comes out Barcelona will fall behind even more.

It's time to think about shorting AMD again.

TRENDING THREADS